Urology Community

Frequent Blood in Urine

I have kidney stones five times in the last ten years from my left kidney. When I was 20 weeks pregnant I had to have a stent put in my left kidney because I was have horrible pain from pressure on my ureter. The stent was left in for several months and then had to be removed surgically. Two surgeries to remove the stent in fact. It is now almost 2 1/2 years since the surgery and for the last 5 months I have been having blood in my urine, kidney and back pain on a regular basis.  The pain comes and goes, some days nothing, some days it feels like a stone is getting ready to pass.  The blood in the urine is my biggest concern.  In the beginning it was once every couple of weeks, now it's everyday. Could this possibly be damage from the surgeries or stent usage for several months? I'm not having any fever or other signs of infection. I did have my urine tested 5 months ago...no sign of infection.
Presence of visible blood clots in urine is called gross hematuria or macroscopic hematuria. This signifies any underlying medical conditions which needs investigations to confirm. Most often it is related to urinary tract problems like kidney stones, inflammation of urinary tract, prostate enlargement, renal vein thrombosis, certain kidney tumors and polycystic kidney disease, blood coagulation disorders and anticoagulants.

I suggest you to consult a urologist soon as you are having a history of kidney stones as well.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards