MedHelp.org will cease operations on May 31, 2024. It has been our pleasure to join you on your health journey for the past 30 years. For more info, click here.
Avatar universal

Frequent Urination: difficulty in diagnosis

Hey everyone,

From last one and half month I am suffering from problem of frequent urination (a urination after very five minutes). I visited the clinic and performed urine tests several times. Every time doctor told me that your results are normal. He performed a blood test for prostate, it also came normal. I took a course of ciprofloxacin and  then doxycycline. Nothing worked.
Now alongwith frequent urination, I feel continuous pain in urethra which sometimes transfer from the bottom of penis towards right leg. when i move the leg, i feel pain.

can someone help me to diagnose the problem ?
3 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Hello! I've had similar symptoms that prolonged over a year to have been diagnosed. I would suggest talking to your primary care physician about Diabetes Insipidus, if it seems plausible then ask for a referral to an endocrinologist right away! I hope it helps if you go this route.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thanks for your detailed answer. I visited a urologist and he did digital rectal exam. He also asked me to make a chart of fluid intake and fluid passed as urine (for two days). I made this chart and showed him, I passed out 450 mL of urine in the morning and from this volume, he guessed that my bladder is quite healthy and have good capacity. From this chart, he made his own conclusions, stating that I am quite healthy and I should stop my urge of urination and should go to washroom not before 2 hours. Moreover, he asked me to take a course of Levofloxacin 500 mg for a month. It did not work.

But unfortunately, I am facing the same problem.
Helpful - 0
4851940 tn?1515694593
If you are only able to get to see a urologist by referral from your doctor, then you need to request your doctor to refer you urgently to see a urologist.  A urologist has specialized knowledge and skill regarding problems of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive organs.

The urologist may decide to do a cystoscopy and/or arrange for specific imaging tests that show up what is going on inside the urinary tract.

As the antibiotics did not work it may be that they were the wrong type of antibiotic to treat any underlying infection, or you have no bacterial infection.  

It may be that you have kidney stone problems or other obstruction inside your penis.  The leg pain may be referred pain due to urinary tract problems or may be a different problem altogether.  

Although you go to urinate every 5 minutes, do not reduce your fluid intake.  You still need to be well hydrated.  The recommended amount of fluids (not alcohol) to be drunk during the day is around 2 litres.  Your doctor or urologist would advise you whether you should drink more or less than this amount.  

Dehydration and not drinking enough water can lead to the formation of kidney stones.  A kidney stone can be as small as a grain of sand, but can still cause a lot of pain and can cause infections, blockage and pain.  

I suggest you collect your urine into a clear clean glass jar, smell it and look at it.  A strong smell can indicate urinary problems.  If the urine is cloudy, dark or red - this could be a sign of an infection and blood in the urine.  A dark coloured urine can also indicate that you are not hydrated enough and would need to drink more water.

Frequent urination can also sometimes be due to high sugar levels in the blood and an HbA1C blood test would give the average blood sugar levels in your body over a period of 3 months.

Because you have physical symptoms and your doctor has not found the cause, you need further investigation by a urologist.  If you have not had your prostate examined, that too should be done.  

Make an urgent appointment to see your doctor and ask for an urgent referral to see a urologist.  If you are able to make your own appointment to see a urologist, then I suggest you make an urgent appointment to see a urologist.  

Hope that the cause of our problem can be found soon so that you can get the appropriate treatment to aid a speedy recovery.

Let me know how you get on.
Best wishes.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community

Top Urology Answerers
Avatar universal
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.