Hematospermia due to Vasectomy

Its been 21 days since my vasectomy and I am seeing a great deal of blood in my semen. After calling my Urologist, he said that it wasn't uncommon for this to occur after this procedure and that it will go away in a few weeks. He providing no explanation as to why this has occurred though.
My questions then are:
1.  Why don't urologists warn patients of this possibility,(seeing that its not uncommon) sparing  them this frightful discovery.
2.  If this wasn't uncommon, why can't I find any information on any medical forum on the internet that links hematospermia with vasectomy? My question about this problem is A FIRST.
3.  Why is this  happening to just me if No one else I have talked to that has had a vasectomy has experienced hematospermia.
I am a healthy 44 year old, physically fit, married and monogomous with two healthy children. Somehow I am not convinced that blood in semen in common after an elective procedure like vasectomy.
Your opinion is greatly appreciated.
To answer your questions:
1) I cannot speak for other urologists as to why this wasn't discussed.  Before any procedure, a discussion of risks and benefits should be performed.

2) Hematospermia is not a common complication of vasectomy, but it may be possible.  I cannot find any definitive data to determine whether your case was the first.  Nor can I find definitive data to quote the incidence.  

3) I believe this is because hematospermia is an uncommon complication.  Having said that, I would consider a workup for this apart from the vasectomy.  The prostate is the most common cause.  I would suggest a transrectal ultrasound to make sure that there are no prostatic lesions that is leading to the blood in the semen.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

You are reading content posted in the Urology Forum

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.