Urology Forum

High White Blood Cell Count in Urine

I am a 23 yr. old female who has been treated for a UTI for about a month. My initial white blood cell count was 50+, decreased to 10-50, now is 30-40. I do not have any symptoms of a UTI, other than cloudy urine and slight frequency (going about 8-9 times/day). No blood, no waking up at night to go. I have been on Cipro for 2 weeks and Levequin for 10 days- still high. Also had a CT exam- showed slight irritation in my colon, nothing in the bladder. No fever. Blood and stool tests were normal. My doctor says this is definately not an infection, is sending me to a urologist on Monday, but I am freaking out. I initially went to the doctor for diarrhea...What could this possibly be?
Pyuria (i.e. WBC in the urine) can occur in the absence of apparent bacterial infection, particularly in patients who have already taken antimicrobials. Other causes of sterile pyuria include:

* Contamination of the urine sample by sterilizing solution
* Contamination of the urine sample with vaginal leukocytes
* Chronic interstitial nephritis (such as analgesic abuse nephropathy)
* Nephrolithiasis (kidney stones)
* Uroepithelial tumor

The urology referral would be the appropriate next step.  A cystoscopy as well as urine cytology studies can be considered to evaluate for tumor.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b

Bibliography:
Meyrier et al.  Urine sampling and culture in the diagnosis of urinary tract infection.  UptoDate, 2004.
A related discussion, White Blood Cell Count in Urine was started.
A related discussion, Suggestion? was started.
A related discussion, 500 white blood cell in urine was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.