Urology Forum

Hydronephrosis

I am 27 years old.A few months ago I was diagnosed as suffering from Hidronephrosis since birth.I underwent a Nephrostome surgery and took some radioactive tests to see if my damaged kidney was workimg.The results were all negative and I was told it didn't work,and after 4 months my kidney emits about 150cc of urin.I was told that the best thing was to remove my kidney.
I have 2 questions:
1.Is there a possibility that in the future a solution will be found that would be able to heal my kidney (even partially)?
2.Should I consider opening the blockage that coused the Hydronephrosis and keep my kidney as it is?

I would appreciate your comment.
Without knowing more about the case personally (i.e. what is causing the hydronephrosis), it is difficult to give specific answers to your question.  Here are the major causes of this:

* Acute unilateral obstructive uropathy
* Chronic unilateral obstructive uropathy
* Vesicoureteric reflux (backflow of urine from bladder to kidney)
* Nephrolithiasis (kidney stones)
* Idiopathic hydronephrosis of pregnancy

There are some causes where a stent placement may be considered to relieve the obstruction.  If this has already been considered, then removing the kidney may be your last option.  

Determination of the best treatment (i.e. stent vs removing the whole kidney) would be made in conjunction with your personal urologist.  You may want to consider another opinion at an academic medical center.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.