Urology Community

Hysterectomy cancelled because of kidney stones

I need to have a hysterectomy and soon!  During my pre-op testing they found blood in my urine and said I had an uti.  I've never had one in my 46 years of life!  I felt wonderful!  So surgery was canceled until I was finished with my antibiotics.  Did testing again and still found blood in my urine.  Found out I have a mild case of kidney stones and my gynacologist won't do my hysterectomy until everything is cleared up.  Is that really necessary to make me wait for the surgery?  What does one have to do with the other?

This discussion is related to Stone in Kindney = whay kind of symtoms?.
Kidneys and uterus are two separate organs and there is no relation between the two. Your doctor must be saying this because often stress during a surgery can precipitate renal colic (pain) attacks. Kidney stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones. Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone. Treatment modes include Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), uteroscopic stone removal and percutaneoud nephrolithotomy.

Then you can go in for hysterectomy uterus also.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.