Urology Community

IC? or Endo ? or something ele?

Hi there,  this is the first time I am posting here.  Any help is graetly appreciated.

I am a 36yr old female.  I have constant lower abdominal pressure and pain and cannot even standup for about 2 1/2 days during my ovulation time.  From the end of my period to this time (2 1/2 days) the pain/pressure keeps increasing and may be a week later the pain is gone - only to repeat in the next cycle.  

The family doctor did a urine test just before the 2 1/2 days and found a lot of microscopic blood in the urine.  She sent for a culture but the test came inconclusive - too much blood in the urine.  She said that I have IC but hasn't referred me to the Urologist yet.  She put me on Cipro (3 days) and pyridium for 10 days - (made no diff. for the 2 1/2 days of suffering).  She says that she is going to test my urine again and go from there.

Just an FYI-I was tested a year ago and there was a lot of microscopic blood at that time also. At the ER they did a CT scan and ruled out Kidney stones.

My questions are:
1.  Are Hematuria and ovulation related?? If so how?
2.  If it is IC, how come I don't have any symptoms in one part of the month?
3  I recently got an ultrasound of my female parts done.  ONe of them was on top of my abdomen and for the other I had to stick a camera into my vagina.  Should ENDO have shown up during these ultrasound tests??
4.  I understand that I need to get cystoscopy done to rule out/confirm IC.  I am afraid that the doctor might be missing out on the connection between Hematuria and ovulation.  Is my assumption unfounded?

Thanks for the help
S

Pain during ovulation is called mittelschmirtz.
This is believed to be a result of peritoneal inflammation and irritaion due to the blood that may be released (small miniscule quantity) during the rupture of the follicle during ovulation.

This pain varies from individual to individual and may last from a few minutes to several hours.
Due to the character and site of the pain the affected individual may not be able to move her legs without pain or discomfort as long as the inflammation lasts.

No, hematuria and ovulation are not related as the organs and tracts affected are not connected.

IC symptoms are present constantly with exacerbations and remissions. The IC diagnosis will need to be reevaluated.

Endometriosis
"A health history and a physical examination can in many patients lead the physician to suspect endometriosis.

Use of imaging tests may identify larger endometriotic areas, such as nodules or endometriotic cysts. The two most common imaging tests are ultrasound and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). Normal results on these tests do not eliminate the possibility of endometriosis--areas of endometriosis are often too small to be seen by these tests.

The only way to confirm and diagnose endometriosis is by laparoscopy or other types of surgery. The diagnosis is based on the characteristic appearance of the disease, if necessary corroborated by a biopsy. Laparoscopy also allows for surgical treatment of endometriosis.

Generally, endometriosis-directed drug therapy is utilized after a confirmed surgical diagnosis of endometriosis"
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endometriosis

A cystoscopy will help rule out deficiencies in the bladder lining, but other causes of hematuria will need to be evaluated.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards