Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Infections??

A couple years ago I started developing chronic urinary infections.  There was always some mild bleeding with these.  I take medication from the doctor, it would go away, and then a few months later it would be back.  Sometimes the urine tests would come back negative.  No one knew what was happening.
  I started keeping a log of when this started and what I was doing different.  I realized that I had started drinking a lot of ice tea.  I'd order it in restaurants when my husband and I went out but a new product - Lipton's Ice Tea - came out on the market in groceries and it was delicious.  I was drinking 2-3 bottles a day.  I stopped drinking the tea out of curiosity and about a week later the the bleeding stopped.  The infections went away.  I couldn't beleive this, so I started drinking the tea again...and it all came back immediately!   The company changed the name of the tea and I noticed it's not sell off the shelves anymore.  
  Here's the question:  What's in tea that causes something this severe?  And what was bleeding along with the infections.  I can no longer go anywhere near ice tea; not even one glass at all.  Somethings there causing this but I don't know what.  It would help to know since it could be in other items.
3 Responses
438205 tn?1240962949
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Yours is an interesting story. I wonder if you have a propensity to make oxalate containing kidney stones as  tea has a high concentration of oxalate. If you were passing small stones (some use the term, "gravel') you might have symptoms similar to a urinary tract infection and even blood in your urine. The urine culture  would be negative.
There is oxalate in leafy vegetables, chocolate, and cranberry juice to name a few. An internet search will give you a more complete list.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition
hi, i've been diagnosed to have u.t.i. and the urinalysis reveals that the infection is subsiding due to the prescribed anti-biotics. I'm still experiencing discomfort on my groin area. Does u.t.i produces discomfort in our groin? i'm beginning to be bothered by this discomfort.

please advise,

thanks
438205 tn?1240962949
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Bladder infections may have lower abdominal aching pain, not usually limited to a single side. I assume that the diagnosis of infection was based on at least a nitrite positive urine sample if not a urine culture. If your pain is one sided, there may be something else going on, such as a kidney stone. You need to then see a urologist.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.