Urology Community

Is the practise of Omorashi (holding urine for pleasure) physically dangerous?

While looking about on the Internet for data regarding urinary health, my friend and I stumbled across a lot of postings from people of both genders regarding the practise of Omorashi, where they experience sexual or emotional pleasure or pride by deliberately holding back from urinating for very many hours and sometimes while drinking lots of fluids. Some of these people measure the amounts of urine they pass when they finally do allow themselves to go, and I was startled to read amounts such as 1300milli-litres, even up to 2600!

Some of the practitioners described doing things such as pressing against their anterior pelvic region while holding, or engaging in sex or other vigorous exercise. One young man posted a YouTube video where his bladder was so distended as to be clearly visible protruding from his lower abdomen.

People also described such things as seeing blood in their urine when they finally went; and almost all of them said that sharp or aching pains in their bladders and kidneys would be a common occurrence. Some said their kidneys ached for hours after they urinated.

Since my friend suffers from Shy Bladder Syndrome and recently survived some frightening kidney issues partly as a result from that, where she was indeed very ill, this alarmed us both. We had been looking for information to help her.

In February, I'd had to help nurse her back from the brink of a most ignominious death from, among other things, a kidney stone stuck in her right ureter with Hydronephrosis, and a severe kidney infection, raging fever; her right kidney stopped functioning awhile and her left wasn't doing too well because that one has a number of stones still in it. She was in hospital, then lay abed for over a week delirious with fever; and for the next two months after, she recovered very slowly. She's been warned that her lifelong habit of holding in urine for very many hours while working outside the house could one day result in her death; a close relative of hers died suddenly that way, from sudden total renal failure and uremic poisoning. My friend is undergoing counseling for Complex PTSD & her Shy Bladder issues.

Knowing this, it was rather upsetting to see that so many people are so proud of going days without urinating on purpose, and brag of holding up to 2600 ml of urine!

It's not our place or intent to criticise other people for their lifestyle choices, but again & again, we saw the practitioners of Omorashi say that there was "no danger" to their physical health. Some said they'd been assured that it is impossible to harm one's health by holding in urine. One said his doctor said that it was "harmless," but somehow I got the impression he wasn't telling his Doc the whole story!

And I know where they get that idea that it's okay: I've certainly seen lots and lots of places online where medical personnel claim that to be so: "Don't worry, you can't actually burst your bladder" and "There are no health risks from holding it in," are frequently seen. Somehow we wonder if people posting that advice have any idea about people capable of holding 2600ml at a time! Would they say that if they knew?

I've even seen a study that claims that if you make important decisions about business/finance while holding a full bladder, you are neurologically disposed to make wiser choices. Frankly, I think I'd be too distracted!

Once and for all, urged by my friend, who cares a lot about this, I wish people would stop propagating the notion that it's impossible to burst one's bladder. One car accident with a full bladder and people might find out otherwise! Especially if it's as full as some of these people can manage.

So, how dangerous is it really, when people take holding urine to those extremes?

And about the kidney pain after urination: even I've had times when I needed to go badly and had strong aching in both kidneys afterward, and I wondered what that meant? Other people I know have too. Reflux, could it be? If so, can't that cause a kidney infection?

My friend says that since her illness in Feb., she often gets throbbing in both kidneys just out of the blue, which wasn't a problem prior to her crisis. I'm concerned about that as well.