Urology Community

Kidney Infection or Back Pain

I came down with a pretty nasty bladder infection about 1 month ago (painful, frequent urination, cloudy, bloody urine, etc..).  I was put on a 10 day course of Cipro, and all seemed well. However...
Probably about the second day of treatment I developed pain in my lower back, which I would describe as being on both sides of my spine just below where my ribcage ends.  I guess this isn't technically the flank.  Anyhow, called my Dr about it, they didn't seem concerned, even though I had a low-grade fever and chills at the time.  

Earlier this week I began to develop some mild signs of some more cystitis, though less severe (frequent urination, bladder discomfort.)  I used one of those OTC dipstick tests and came up quite positive for leukocytes, but negative for nitrates.  Called the Dr again, they put me on a 3-day course of Cipro again.

The day I started the Cipro, the back pain has returned.  Same place, but this time it doesn't seem to be going away.  I do NOT have a fever, and my bladder seems mostly back to normal.  I would describe the pain as a dull, deep ache, and that part of my back feels stiff and possibly swollen.  The pain has radiated down to the top of my pelvis, much in the area that I've gotten menstrual cramps.

I haven't been too quick to jump on it as a kidney infection, especially because I don't have a fever, but I feel kind of 'crappy'.  I've kept my Dr's office abreast of the issue, but there doesn't seem to be any concern.  Could this still be a kidney infection, or does it sound like a muscle issue, or something else?  I'm probably going to call my Dr again Monday if things do not improve by then.  But any feedback will help my nerves.
There can be many reasons for this back pain. It can e due to kidney infections or kidney stones, ureteric stones, pelvic inflammatory disease or gynecological causes like endometriosis or ovarian cysts. Very rarely nerve compression of the spinal nerves due to spinal problems like stenosis or herniattion may cause such problems. I would suggest you to consult a physician/ gynecologist and get cervical swab, urethral swab, ultrasound lower abdomen and MRI spine done to rule out these conditions.

Hope it helps. Take care and regards.