Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Kidney Stones-Crixivan

I am currently on a protease inhibitor(HIV),
  Crixivan. One of the side effects of this med is kidney stones.
  I am curious as to what "type" of stone is formed here. I've
  read that there are many different types. Also, my doctor(s)
   recommend
  that I drink a lot of fluids to prevent the formation of stones. I
  I am currently drinking 2 quarts a day of fluids. Is this enough?
  Is there anything else I can do to prevent the stones from
  forming?
  The Crixivan is working well to keep my viral load down so I don't
  want to give it up, but I am VERY anxious about the stones. I've
  heard horror stories. Thanks in advance. BOB
=====================================================================
Dear Bob,
There are few reports of urolithiasis with protease inhibitors.  One case of renal calculus was reported by Chodakewitz et al in long-term follow-up data from phase 1 and 2 trials.  Another four cases were reported by another group of doctors.  The stones are not consistent with any of the common or known urinary calculi.  The patients with these stones did not have to stop there medication do to the stone. They simply stopped taking their medication for 3 days and resumed after their stone episodes resolved.  Of course you should speak with your doctor at this time and he/she could help you with the details.
The manufacturer of Crixivan recognizing the increased risk of stones recommends at least 48 ounces of fluid per 24 hours. This has to be spaced out over the course of that time.
This information comes from an article in the Journal of Urology 158,31-33 (1997).
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword: Urinary Calculi

0 Responses
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.