Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

Kidney Stones vs. Salt Deposits?

I'm currently living abroad, and the doctors here have proven to be a little short of helpful. I went to the doctor about a month ago with pain in the area of my appendix. They ruled out appendicitis and asked me to do an ultrasound of my kidneys. The ultrasound showed 'sand' up to 2.5 mm. One of the stones was 4 mm. The doctor prescribed me a medicine called 'Blemaren' that supposedly dissolves kidney stones.

Today (a month later) I went to another urologist. He took a look at my test results and said that he does not see any sign of inflammation. The ultrasound I did today showed 'sand' 3-4 mm. The doctor said that I have nothing to worry about, that these are just salt deposits that will go away if I drink enough water and take some pills for a month. I've searched the internet and found that kidney stones and salt deposits are the same thing. He said the pain in my abdomen was probably due to one of the deposits passing. He said that the pain that I 'think' is in my right kidney is more than likely my back.

Can somebody please help me? I've tried so many doctors here, and not a single one of them can give me a straight answer that checks with Western medicine. The joys of living abroad...

Thanks in advance,

Ray
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi,
The salt deposits & small stones are one and the same thing and the pain which you had could likely be due to one of the passing stones in the ureter. The best treatment is a regular consumption of fluids. They tend to wash away these stones. A lot of my patients have passed these small stones after a few glasses of beer. Remember to drink a glass of water before going to bed as the maximum concentration of urine takes place at night. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.