A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

Kidney Stones

Good morning...

At 11:30pm Thursday night I woke up with back pain on my left side. I walked around to relieve the discomfort and headed back to sleep around midnight. At 2:30am Friday morning I woke up again with tremendous pain in my back, traveling to the front left part of my stomach, and into my groin area. I've had my gall bladder removed 2 years ago and it felt like I was having a gall bladder attack. the pain was 8-9 on the pain table. The attack lasted approximately 45 minutes. I threw up twice, very discolored. I went to the emergency room around 3:00am. Was given an IV with pain medication (high dosage of Motrin) and had a CT Scan and my urine and blood tested. I actually had blood in my urine. The CT Scan found 2 kidney stones both approximately 2mm in size. One is in my ureter and the other still in my left kidney. Still haven't passed them yet.

The ER Doctor saw a mass approximately 1 CM in my right kidney while reading the CT Scan. Although I don't have pain in the right side he was concerned and told me to see my PCP ASAP with the results. My test readings came up normal (White blood cell count/blood sugar level/ect...) and he told me he didn't think it was cancerous due to the readings.

I have 2 questions related to my diagnosis.

1) How do I pass the stones? I drinking water non-stop. I was told I would definitely feel it but haven't had any pain yet. Also, my urine has a very weak stream (saw a Urologist 2 years ago about it) so I'm not even sure them power in the stream will help relieve the stone.
2) Should I be concerned about the mass in the right kidney, even though my test results show no signs of Cancer at this stage? Also, will they remove the mass surgically or will medication just control and/or break it up if it is just a cyst?

I'm 42 years old, father of 2 wonderful teenage boys, husband to a wonderful wife, 30 lbs overweight, very active in my work (Plant Mgr.-work approx. 12 hrs daily on my feet all day) and personal life, eat crappy foods (fast foods) on a consistent basis. I know I have to adjust my lifestyle and improve my eating habits

Thank you in advance for any information you can pass along to me. I've checked online and haven't really seen any consistency in the answers people are getting due these prognosis. Any information will be gracious and helpful.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.