Urology Community

Kidney Stones

I am 71 and after a visit to the ER, found out I had a 12.9 mm stone in my kidney blocking function. They inserted a stent then put me on pain pills and antibiotics.  Am now facing a lithotripsy.Please tell me what I am facing with this procedure and what to expect after.  The stent will remain in till the Dr. sees me a week after the procedure.  I am nervous and scared as I had a heart attack 3 years ago and worried about my stress level. Never had a stone before and the pain was unreal. I have hyperthyroid and have pvc's  Is this procedure my best option and what is the percentage of success.  Thank you
Hi there!

Lithotripsy is a fairly successful procedure. Sound waves are used to break the larger stone into smaller fragments to clear obstruction, which can then pass into urine. I would suggest discussing the pros and cons in detail along with the expected prognosis with your treating urologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!