Urology Community

Kidney Stones

I am at my wits end and have no idea what else to do. I had my first kidney stones when i was 19. They first put a stent inside to help with the passing but later found out that they weren't going anywheres caue they were sitting in a pocket in my kidneys. they did Lipo and they i was sent on my way. Well for the past 12 years i had more stones returned and nothing really done expect given meds to help the pain.(which most times didn't help). Well I noticed that within the last 2 years i have been getting pains more often like almost every week if not every second week. I was also told i have msk. I had surgery last year on my right side and they pulled out 13 stones and told me they got them all. mind you also at the time i had some in my left kidney but they said they weren't worrying about them cause they were just small.  But about 6 months after surgery i found out i had more in my right kidney and the ones in my left are bigger so they did lipo . But here i am about 4 months later still in pain and still have the stones and all they do is just keep giving me this shot that all it does is make the pain not as intense but still there. My life is so affected by this i miss time from work. I can't do a whole lot with the kids and my husband. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?  :(

Have you been asked to modify your diet? What type of stones are these ( calcium, uric, cystine?)

Any kidney stone formers in the family?

At this point, urinary tract stones are usually managed definitely by surgery or less invasive techniques lke stent placement.This all depends on your over all profile
( age,other medical conditions, lifestyle, medical compliance) and also the stone's character ( type of stone, size,location).

As you have been a stone former since you were 19 were you given a definite diagnosis for your condition? Was a 24 hour urine collection done for urine calcium levels? Any blood tests? Your parathyroid hormones were checked?

Take in lots of fluid and limit dietary intake of animal protein and dairy products.Kidney stones may have a strong genetic association. Discuss this with your physician.Associated hormonal problems have to be ruled out.

Yes I have been a stone former since i was 19. I had a 24 hour collection done and they said its not cause of calcium. But also my grandfather, my father and my mother had them as well. I was given a list of stuff to avoid but the thing is i am very fussy at what i eat and drink so must of it was no worry.  It just seems i feel like an guinea pig now with the doctors here. they just give me a shot and send me on my way without listening that the meds that are giving me isn't helping. I seen an urologist and still am but they just don't seem to wanna do anything to help me with the pain.  

Were they able to discuss with you what type of stones do you have? Calcium stones are the more common ones. There are other types as well ( cystine, struvite , uric)

Kidney stones may hold a genetic predisposition. In your case, the presence of kidney formers in the family may explain the onset of kidney stones at an earlier age.

It is best to open lines of communication with your physicians. At this point, you may discuss on whether a referral to a pain management specialist may help.Continue following physician's advice regarding diet, fluid intake and exercise.