A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members
624160 tn?1224082480

Kidney infection not going away

I am a 24 year old woman. Over the past several weeks I've had a bad kidney infection that will not go away. The doctor did a pap smear and took urine sample and I am scheduled for an ultra sound this thursday. Can anyone tell me what he may be checking me for? Kind of getting scared b/c antibiotics are not working at all. I am getting a little scared here. Thanks for any information.
1 Responses
Hi,
    Thanks for writing in. Recurrent kidney infections can be caused by infections including STD, abnormality in the form of urinary tract, due to reflux of urine from the bladder, stones obstructing the urinary tract, immuno compromised conditions etc.
Don't worry, the doctor might have scheduled you for an ultrasound to look for any anatomical abnormality if present in the urinary tract or for any stones in the urinary tract which might be causing obstruction there by subjecting the kidney to recurrent infections.
In both conditions surgical treatment might help. Also check what the urine sample report says.
I would also suggest to get a check of random blood sugars for diabetes, as this a common cause of recurrent infections.
Feel free to post if you have any doubts.
Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.