Urology Community

Kidney problem or urinary tract?

I had something that I thought was a recurrent urinary tract infection for a bit over a year- - it always cleared up on it's own. It was basically pain in the tract with a bit of burning plus I had to urinate more and it seemed to take a bit more effort and sometimes I felt like it hadn't finished.

I asked my doctor about it and she gave me some antibiotics and said to let her know if they didn't work. THey seemed to, though, and so I somewhat forgot about it. IT started to resurge maybe a month later, but it ended up being eclipsed by another problem I had - a severe and anti-biotic resistant ear infection. Not that the other effects I was having stopped, but losing a lot of the hearing in both ears made it seem less important. Plus, the 'first line' super-anti-biotics and steroid they put me on to knock out the ear thing seemed to work on the urinary tract thing, too.

Everything was fine for a couple of months until I got compltely floored by a kidney stone right after CHristmas. Still, it passed on its own and everything seemed fine again...

Until circa-April when I started getting soft erections. I still have no problem getting erect, but it seems to stay at about a 3/4 stage.

Then earlier this week, the pain came back and maybe felt a little worse, I had to urinate six times yesterday at work (though not as much today), I felt burning, my kidney and/or back hurts and I feel some pressure there and my erections have gotten a bit.. finicky. My wife has to coax me more and they fall off sometimes and sometimes teh skin is very tender.

I talked to a nurse at my doctor's office who said my doctor wasn't available. I told her a couple of my symptoms, mentioning my urinary tract and asking for the dr to call me back. Instead, I guess the dr is referring me to a nephrologist, probably connecting the kidney stones with my other problem (she still hasn't called me back, so I have to guess).

I feel awfully weird, though, going to a specialist when the dr never eally listened to my symptoms (she heard part of them at third hand from the nurse and still hasn't called me back, though she apparently sent in the referral someplace).

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do / what it could be?  

What you seem to be having is recurrent UTI and kidney diseases like stones can be one of the reasons of recurrent UTI.

Diagnostic tests that may be performed include Urinalysis, Urine culture, X-rays of the kidneys, Cystoscopy, IVP, Abdominal ultrasound and CT scan of the abdomen.Pls consult a urologist and get it done.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted.Kind regards.