Urology Community

Kidney stones

My daughter was diagnosed with polysistic kidney dease. She is now 3 years old and she has had 6-7 UTI and the last one was on 12/1/10 and she was in the hospital for 5 days she was recently diagnosed with hydronephrosis and her last renal ultrasound stated " there are focal echogenic structures bilaterally which are probably nonobstructive renal calculi" can someone explain to me what this means.

Thank you,
Polycystic disease is a hereditary disease in which a large number of cysts grow within the kidney. The report that you have depicts that her kidneys have renal or kidney stones which may be responsible for her recurrent UTI’s. UTI can also be due to the polycystic kidney disease as well. Kidney stones and kidney failure are late-stage symptoms of the disease. I suggest you an immediate urologist’s evaluation.

If the size of the stone is small, it’s usually treated with ESWL in which shock waves are given from outside and stone breaks into small pieces. On the other hand, if the stone is quite big, then the surgical removal of the stone is a better option.

Also her renal functions need to be studied.
I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

She has been seen by a specialist but all they do when I go see them once a month is and urine analysis which they stated that she has a high white cell count but did not give me any medicaiton. Also she obtained a DMSA ultrasound and they stated that everything is ok. But my questions was for the specialist is her cyst big he stated that I shouldn't warry about it but maybe she will continue to have UTI's. He wasn't much of a help.