Urology Community

Lab tests

Just received my lab tests back from a physical.  I noticed the Ca Ox Crystal indicate a +1 with and indicator of HIGH.  What is this...what does it mean?

The presence of high levels of calcium oxalate crystals in the urine may indicate the presence of urinary tract stones. This may also be an indicator of high calcium levels in the blood.Underlying diseases like hormone imbalance, excessive intake of calcium supplements or high intake of dietary calcium levels, hypertension, dehydration, underlying kidney disease and gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to this.

Further evaluation to exclude the presence of urinary tract stones by requesting  kidney,ureter and bladder scans may be done.

Take adequate amount of water everyday,exercise regularly and maintain a balanced diet. Just minimize portions of dairy products and vegetables that may be high in calcium and oxalate levels.Discuss these with your physician.

Do keep us posted for anything.