Thanks for writing in. Kidney stones usually pass out through the urine stream with in 48hours. But this depends upon the size of the stone.
A 4mm stone has 80% chances of coming out spontaneously, where as 5mm stone has 20% chances. Stones more than this size usually require treatment. Medical management includes calcium channel blockers, alpha blockers etc.
Since how long have you been having this stone? And has this been causing you frequent bouts of infection and pain? Because if the patient is symptomatic and the stone is not passing out spontaneously then surgery is taken up.
If you are not symptomatic and if the stone is not interfering with the normal functioning of the kidney, then you can wait till it passes on it’s own.
I'm not sure if this particular stone is causing problems because I just past a 4mm stone a couple of days ago. I guess my questions is if the procedure is better to have done versus waiting for it to pass on its own? Thank you so much for your response.
Thanks for writing in. You didn’t mention whether you are having bouts of pain and infection. Also since how long are you having this stone?
With the history that, you passed a stone couple of days ago, I feel you can wait, to allow the present stone also pass spontaneously.