Urology Community

Long term effects of wearing chastity devices

I am a mid-30s male. After a few months of experimentation, I started wearing a chastity device 24/7 about 2 weeks ago. I am able to handle all activities in the day time very comfortably. However, my nocturnal erections are a bit uncomfortable and I wake up 2 times to adjust the device and take a short walk to let it subside. I have three very specific questions about nocturnal erections and one general question about abstention:

1. If I continue to suppress my erections this way for long term could I harm my penile tissues?

2. The erection is not completely suppressed and the swelling puts some pressure on my testicles (which appear by themselves grow bigger and more full during the night). Can there be other complications from this pressure?

3. Some people say that these erections are linked to REM sleep. I haven't noticed any sleep deprivation or other neurological symptoms in the two weeks (irritatability, confusion, foginess, lack of attention, or ability to recall etc.). But can I run into long term effects of not getting a sound sleep of 7-8 continuous hours? I just take a 15 minute break those two times but otherwise sleep 7-8 hours.

4. I am not planning to masturbate or have sex for as long as I can and want to rely on wet dreams to release the fluids my reproductive systems build up. Can this lead to complications later?
I would personally be opposed to trying to suppress nocturnal erections. It’s pretty well accepted by most experts that these are designed to keep penile tissues ‘nourished’ by periodically flooding them with blood, which is what happens during an errction. Without this, these tissues can start to degenerate over time, lose elasticity due to fibrosis & over time that could result in loss of erectile function - in other words, ED !! I’m pretty sure you don’t want that!

I’m also opposed to the practice of trying to rely on wet dreams for release - there are several studies showing that frequent ejaculation clears the prostate & associated glands of fluids that can become ‘stale’ & there’s strong evidence this may help prevent development of prostate cancer. Studies showed that men who had more frequent ejaculations had a lower rate of prostate cancer later on.

As for the sleep angle, it prbly isn’t doing too much harm, but I would not continue to do this for the 2 VERY big reasons I mentioned - Possible ED & Prostate cancer.

FYI - I am a prostate cancer patient myself, so I know quite a bit about this subject - what factors can increase the odds of getting it, the purpose of nocturnal erections, frequency of ejaculation, etc., having done quite a bit of research into these topics...

your answers are not based on facts, they are opinions.

I have been in long term chastity for 10 years. Non of what you mentioned had occurred. The body produces less sperm when not needed and exoells what has not been used naturally. The penis is not a muscle it does not atrophy or need full erection to maintain it's elasticity. It springs right back to it's original luster even 6 months without an erection.
Prostate cancer is most linked to poor diet and consumption of dairy products.
Sleep interruption albeit unwelcome does not appear to cause any of the original posters concerns and reduce over time.
The benefits of Long term chastity outweigh it's downsides.
Mr. prostrate patient have you ever enjoyed chastity?

Actually, his opinions are factual.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/frequent-ejaculation-may-decrease-prostate-cancer-risk/

https://www.healthline.com/health/prostate-cancer/ejaculation-prostate-cancer

https://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/columns/savage-love/article/13043788/can-locking-my-penis-in-a-chastity-device-cause-longterm-damage - a urologist speaks here, as do several BDSM specialists.

Age, race, family history and obesity play the largest roles in prostate cancer, not dairy products - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prostate-cancer/symptoms-causes/syc-20353087 My father died from prostate cancer, though, and he was very fit and ate healthier than most ever will.

Your choices are your own, of course, and we don't judge here, but we are an evidence-based site. It's important that when making any decision regarding your body that you make a fully informed one.

Thx for providing those links, auntiejessi. You’re right - we need factual information. And thx for backing me up on my answer - you are correct that my comments were not just my opinions - I read many, many research studies on this particular subject.

Part of the ‘penile rehab’ men (including me) get after prostate cancer surgery is designed to keep blood flowing into those tissues to prevent total atrophy. Even with ‘nerve-sparing’ surgery (which I had), there’s usually a period of time where the nerves are nearly completely nonfunctional, thus, no nocturnal erections occur, and during that time, fibrosis of the erectile tissues can occur, which is mostly irreversible, and by the time nerves begin to transmit signals again, it’s too late & natural function may never return. That’s why I was opposed to any attempts to suppress the natural process of nocturnal erections, which virtually 100% of modern-day Urologists believe is the reason they exist. As you said, it’s his life & his choices, but the consequences of following those practices need to be understood...
Having experimented with a chastity device and being very very aroused for long periods of time (without release) my question was really about the risks to the cardio vascular system. Is there any data regarding say, raised blood pressure as a result of spending un-naturally long periods of time in an aroused state? Or even, is it the opinion of any medical professionals that the practise could be injurious in this way?