Urology Community

MAG 3 Renal Scan with Lasix

My son has had this test - I don't want him to go through it again, he is now 1 year old - unchanged hydronephronosis. Why not have just the "Glomerular Filtration Rate" to calculate estimated GFR to measure kidney function.  My fear is that these big hospitals need to pay for equipment, salaries, etc.  Meanwhile I am doing everything in my power to keep toxins from going through his system.  Why would I want to risk more toxins, from the contrast dye, and then exposure to hospital setting diseases, found on equipment, tubing etc.

Why this invasive MAG 3 Renal Scan with Lasix and not the non-invasive Glomerular Filtration Rate system test.

Thank you
Erin James
Bristol, CT