Urology Forum

Medullary Sponge Kidney

Posted By KWT on June 10, 1999 at 12:05:28
I have been diagnosed with Medullary Sponge Kidneys with that X-ray where they inject the dye into your system.  Though I have never seen a stone that I have passed, I have had pain that starts in the back, and moves to the groin area about every 6 months lasting a month or 2.  My doctor told me to try to lay off chocolate, Cokes, and to take in lots of water and calcium.  Everything I have read about stones says to slow down Calcium intake.  Should I take in calcium or not?  I have never really liked milk or taken supplements, so my calcium is probably low already.  Also is there any medication I can take to slow down the formation of Kidney stones that are due to MSK.  Lastly I also had an Osteoid Osteoma, or "Bone Island" in the X-ray.  This was on the diagnosis, but my doctor told me he knew nothing about what that was.  I found some Information on the internet about it, and it poses me little threat.  I was wondering if this was due to the MSK as well, and is this a sign of Nephrocalcinosis?
Thank you

Follow Ups:

Re: Medullary Sponge Kidney HFHS M.D.-BE 6/29/1999
(0)

Re: Medullary Sponge Kidney Follow up??? 6/15/1999
(0)

A related discussion, MSK with  Nephrocalcinosis was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.