Urology Community

My Doctor didn't help

I have just recently had a UTI which was the third one i have had in 3 months. When I went to a urologist he had me take another week of antibiotics and then sent me to get a CT scan of my pelvic and abdomen area. After a week I went back with my films and he said everything was fine; however, I told him I still have flank pain, and have to pee constantly. He then responded to come back to him as needed, drink plenty of water, and that I am fine. Now another week has passed I am still having all symptoms of a UTI, and painful intercourse. Prior to seeing my urologist I had went to my OBGYN to make sure it wasn't something else and they indicated everything was fine. In 2001 I did have kidney stones which no one could find for 2 years. Turned out I had two that I partially passed to my bladder and never went through. They found it only because I had one in my kidney... Anyway I feel as if I am losing my mind and there is no one to help me

With a previous history of urinary tract stones, then we still need to rule out this as stones may be recurrent and some may not be readily seen in scans. However, your abdominal CT scan was clear and these rules out several conditions. Your gynecologic consult also did not show anything. This excludes endometriosis and other gynecologic problems. Differentials for this may be chronic pelvic pain syndrome, which is a poorly understood nerve related condition affecting both men and women. "Most women, at some time in their lives, experience pelvic pain. When the condition persists for longer than 3 months, it is called chronic pelvic pain (CPP). This is a poorly-understood condition that likely represents abnormal neurological function, either in the peripheral nervous system or central nervous system. "

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_pelvic_pain

A referral to a pain management specialist may temporarily be of help. There is no known definite treatment for chronic pelvic pain. Other differentials may include interstitial cystitis and fibromyalgia.