Urology Forum

Mystery illness affecting urethra and general health

Ten months ago i had sex with a prostitute.  Within a week flu like symptoms appeared.  Aches and pains, sweating, sore throat and direahea.  I also noticed a patch of fine bumps on the inside of my mouth that had never been there before.  My urethra would stick together and itch slightly.

The feelings of malaise went away after a month or two.  But in the past several months they have come back, just not as bad as before.  It seems like every other day my throat feels like i'm fighting off a cold and i have direahea daily.  My urethra is starting to close up and is white around the opening.  The patch of bumps in my mouth never did go away but it has been looked at by two different doctors and they tell me i should not be concerned with it.  I have been tested for HIV, syphillus, hepatitus, chlamydia and gonnorea.  These tests have all given negative results.  

I went to see a doctor who specializes in dermatology and std's.  He said the stricture in the urethra was possibly caused by a wart.  I took Urimax for a week but it didn't have any affect.  He has since refered me to a urologist and I am waiting for an appoitment.  Would HPV be causing all these flu like symptoms?  I think I may have been infected with the HSV 1 because I notice a cold sore on my lip this winter.  Could that be the cause of the ongoing flu like syptoms and bumps inside my mouth.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

andy
It is possible, but less likely that HPV would be causing all the symptoms.  HSV would be more likely - which can certainly cause some oral lesions.  Blood tests to test for the herpes antibodies can be considered for further testing.  You can also do scrapings of any lesions to be sent off for smear or culture to further pin down the diagnosis.  

If herpes is suspected and diagnosied, suppresive treatment with antiviral therapy (i.e. Acyclovir or Valtrex) can be considered.  

In addtion to the diseases that have already been ruled out, I would also test for Epstein-Barr virus (mononucleosis).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.