Urology Community

Normal Testosterone Levels

What is considered a "normal" testosterone level for a healthy 45 year old man?  I have been suffering from a variety of symptoms consistent with low testosterone: low sex drive, lack of morning erections, less intensity during ejaculation, less hard erections, irritability, etc..  I had my doctor run blood tests and everything came back normal.  Testosterone was 257 on a scale of 241 - 800.  Doctor says this is normal and will not consider hormone treatments.  The only medication I take is a statin, which has lowered my cholestorol to normal levels.  I am not overweight, nor do I feel depressed.  This has become a major quality of life issue, as my wife is feeling somewhat undeisrable and neglected. I'm not ready to give up on a healthy sex life, but now that my doctor has determined thal all is "normal," I'm not sure what my next step is.  I have unable to find a chart that lists normal testosterone levels by age.  I'm hoping that if I could find some evidence of what I suspect (that my testosterone is indeed low) then I might be able to convince my doctor to consider treating me.  Can you help?
Ime in the UK and my testosterone came back at 5.0 ..I feel dreadful
My total test is 1100, is this to high?  My doctor said its normal but I have read the normal range is 400-800.  I'm 30 years old.
I have had all the symptoms described in this thread for a couple of years now!  Low sex drive, no energy, irritability, generally feeling like I'm not well!  I thought it was old age I'm 57 and I saw the commercial on TV about low T!  I was tested and found I had a 70!  Been on androgel for two years!  Felt better for a few months and went back to the way I felt before!  Just got retested and found that I am back to 70 and I'm not absorbing it properly!  I told the doctor that I was quiting the androgel because I felt no different and he suggested the last test!  We will start injection therapy next!  I am hoping this will help!  Reading this thread has given me new hope since I was just going to give up roll over and die!  The worst part isn't the loss of the sex drive its the irritability that I cannot control!  I have become the Mr nelson I use to dislike on Dennis the Menise when I was a kid!  I didn't realize all those symptoms were connected.  
Hi I don't have low T, but I know a thing or two about it! This is for all you guys - DON'T LET YOUR DR GIVE YOU THE SHOT EVERY TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It needs to be injected 100/150mgs (.5 / .75cc) every WEEK!! As testosterone cypionate has about 7 day half life. If you only get it every two weeks you'll be up down up down etc. Learn to do the shots yourself. It's not hard.
My husband who has always been active sexually with me, became tired, exhausted, unable to keep erection lately.  He's 59 and it has gotten worse and worse.  His regular MD said his  level of T at 247 was normal, but he had a male coworker who recommended a place who does the T therapy.  They said his levels should be much higher, so started with T shots every week.  Same as water as far as any result in energy.  He works long hours & hardly ever gets enough sleep, but I've noticed in last year or so he gets tired very easily.  After 6 weeks of T shots, they did the T pellets in his hip.  That was a couple months ago and his T level is up to 1000!! BUT, no difference to speak of in his energy levels.  He comes home, just wants to crash on couch.  Nothing has changed in the sexual department either.   He's grouchy, gets extremely frustrated when things don't go right, just miserable most of the time.  And seems to almost resent any loving attempts from me.  I think it's almost patronizing to him when I tell him he's handsome or sexy.  His blood level is thick now from the pellets, so they told him to give blood...  I'm suggesting he go to a urologist, get checked for heart blockage, etc... He had normal blood ranges in everything back before he got the T therapy, but that doesn't show heart problems, and possible other things.  
I just wanted any suggestions, plus to suggest checking other possible problems in body causing poor circulation.  
He doesn't work out.  Says he doesn't have time, but the truth is, he just doesn't feel like it!  He's pooped!
I think that all this effects the mental attitude toward everything.  The little train starts saying "i don't think i can, i don't think i can...." and it's a vicious cycle.  If everything checks out well and he doesn't get better, there is another possible fix.  Implant therapy.  
Difficult for me to see him like this & not a pleasant time for me either.  Help!  Please, no vulgar remarks!! Just sound advise from someone who really knows.
Please Buddy, get a new Doctor A sexless man is no good and 257 Testosteron in not for you tell you Doctor to run his testosterone in the 200 not for a healthy sex life. So many good Doctors out there that will help you.
I also have been on 100mcg Fentenal pain patch and also dilaudid, have been on pain medication for almost 10 years now as a doctor botched my neck surgery. I am 54, 6ft, weigh 210, but I have always been big from working out. I walk my dog 3 miles a day and feel fit,  but about 4-6 months ago I started feeling fatigued, had no interest in sex, which is extremely unlike me, and so I told my MD, he suggested the test and it came back 135 and 28, both extremely low. He just did 3 more blood tests and I go to see him on Friday to get results. Needless to say I am terrified based on some of the the things I have read while doing research. Interesting about the pain meds though.
I had all the symptoms as most low t men, got tested and it showed 150. I am 55 fat 250lb 5 foot 9 inch. I had the desire but my equipment would never finish the job. My doctor put me on axiron one pump per arm pit a day. I have a 1255 level now she said  way to high and to go to one pump a day instead of two. That level changed that quick in 30 days of therapy. I am always in the mood maybe to much so looking forward to the half dose to see what it will do. I did notice my beard grows faster so I think that has to be from the axiron also.
Testosterone levels may be different in the morning, evening, night.
However, the important thing is the cause of impotence and reduced testosterone levels. I think you need to read the following article "Statins May Lower Testosterone, Libido"  http://www.webmd.com/erectile-dysfunction/news/20100416/statins_may_lower_testosterone_libido
I just don't think you guys understand. Just how important our physical appearance is to us women. We've been raised our entire lives to hang our self worth on how attractive we are. We tried not to buy into it, but we did. Hook, line, and sinker.

I can hardly explain how much it hurts when I dress nice for my man. In a low cut top and something that shows off my curves. And we're walking down the street and men are like glancing out of the corner of their eyes or maybe downright staring and my boyfriend doesn't even notice. I makes me feel so horrible. There is only one person in the whole world that I want to notice me. Only one person in the world that I want to think that I'm beautiful. Only one person in the world that I want to be sexy for, and he's oblivious. It makes me feel worthless. It makes me feel invisible. Like what the hell is wrong with me?

Or maybe I'm walking around the house in nothing but a night gown, staring at his package like it's a piece of chocolate cake and he says something like, "Oh hey lemme take care of the dishes tonight you had a long day." And he gets up and walks away. And you know what!? When he does thoughtful things like that it is such a turn on! It just makes me want him more. This wonderful, thoughtful, caring, GORGEOUS man loves me. And all I can think about is sex. And I just start crying and then he comes and comforts me. Like, how long is he going to put up with that?
I started being tested two years ago at age 53 and was 230.  I started the pumps and went down to 150.  Then the under arm stuff and dropped to 130 in three more months.  I have waited 8 months and thinking of starting a plan of weekly shots as I have leveled off now at about 130.  Any body else not have any positive results using pumps?
I tried several topical applications and they did not work for me at all.  I have been on shots for a year and its quick, easy, and effective.  There is a great Facebook group for TRT if you want to check that out for the most recent protocol and informantion
I have a T Level of 89 ng/dL, yes 89 and my Dr said it was normal because I am a type 2 diabetic. I needed to convince my Dr to let me try Androgel. Should I get another Dr?
Mike:

You need to find an anti aging doctor.  They have a society that certifies them to be competent.  I know of one in Dallas and one in Newbury, Ohio and one in NYC.  Dr. Linda Waki Ho-Dallas/Hawaii; Dr. Richard Silver, Newbury, Ohio, and Dr. Michael Aziz, NYC.  These doctors are experts and understand this issue.
Don't start any injections until you see an endocrinologist!  Regular doctors don't have the information or I hate to say it just want to get a billable. The low T might be a symptom of another issue such as thyroid, pituitary, or adrenal problems.  If you take the T shots or other artificial stimulation your body will stop doing its job.  This can create other issues down the road.  

I know, I'm experiencing these issues after three years of T injections.  Don't do it is my advice.  
I'm a 42 year old male wasn't sleeping well no energy. I was wounded in Iraq in 2009 I need to find out what was wrong so I had my t level checked I was 257 then again a month later 301. I went with pellets hormonal replacement now I'm sleeping great sleeping well lots of energy my t levels are 950 range... I have no idea about the chart for t levels but I feel great the best in years !!
needs ckd for prostate cancer
I am 52 yrs old, 6'5" and weigh 245lbs and have hypogonadism.
Let me give you a quick history: I knew something wasn't right, I was lethargic, moody as hell, had these quick intense waves of depression and my libido was dropping. This is the short list but like with most of you I came up with an excuse for each problem. I blamed the libido on the BP meds I was taking for my migraines and my moods and depression on work.

I noticed a guy I worked with made some sort of turn around, he was happier, had more energy so I asked him what he did. He told me to get a blood workup. I thought, hmm, ok. I couldn't believe it, my T was 248 and free was 8. Of course my GP said that's normal, don't worry about it. So I went to an endo. She tested me again and I was still very low.

She gave me the choice of gels pills, injections etc. Since I have a family I went with the shots. Well lets just say I am persistent because a day after my first shot I got really sick for like 2 weeks with a really bad cold but I stuck to it. So once the cold was over I was like come on, when does this stuff kick in. I was extremely impatient and was looking for instant results. After a couple more weeks I did notice an improvement in my mood. I was much happier. Then my libido improved. Of course impatient again so I asked for ED pills. I tried Cialis first. Wow, worked great but god worst stuffy nose and neck pain ever. Then I tried Viagra and that wasn't as good and got a bad headache. Levitra! Yeah baby! This stuff was perfect. Only lite flushing and very lite stuffiness. Well I use it once a week roughly and I can tell you it helps. When not on the Levitra I noticed I'm getting close to the same sensitivity and hardness as I was in my 20's. I did a ton of research and everyone doing TRT that was having the same reaction to the Cialis and  Viagra all loved the Levitra. I bring up the ED drugs because they do help with getting your buddy back in shape as your test is going up.

So I have been doing the injections for 3 months now and got my first test back. My T is 780 and my free is 35. Woo Hoo! I am pretty hyped. I haven't felt this good in a long time. So far so good. Not sure it will go any higher but right now I am happy. Btw I do workout and eat well.
I read your attack of "aliveandkicking" with interest and I must admit that I laughed several times.  I briefly looked for the article aliveandkicking wrote with no success.  That's alright because every time you ridiculed him for his shortcomings, you did it with words and sentences that are so terrible in structure, content, and organization that I couldn't help but laugh. I laughed at you.  You are a shining example of why I enjoy watching the ignorant try to take advantage of the less fortunate.  Almost without failure, the ignorant, that's you, demonstrate how the partially educated idiot, still you, believes he's superior over the less fortunate.  While you attacked him for his literary deficiencies, you averaged almost ten rudimentary mistakes in the first three sentences, then it gets bad.  The fifth line is well written.  Congratulations, you can cut and paste.  The one well written sentence stands out like a fluorescent orange flag in the middle of your post.  Mr. 555mjolnir, attacking others down on their luck, never pays.  This time, you are the only moron. The next time, offer a guiding hand and you'll be the example we desperately need in our lives.
I've been having symptoms of low T for a while now.  Last year I finally decided to check my levels but being a little embarrassed about going to a dr. and talking about this subject I decided to take a home test first.  The home test came back with levels at 66 pg/ml and a suggestion of HRT.  I then scheduled an appointment with a local dr. and wound up seeing his PA instead.  We ordered the testosterone level tests among some others he decided he wanted to do.  When I go into see the PA to discuss the results he says my levels are in the 300 range and he wouldn't consider prescribing HRT unless they were in the 200's.  I get home check my results online and find that the tests results came back at 294 ng/dl.  I tried getting a referral to a local urology office I had been to in the past from the PA but he wanted me to set up another appointment and pay to go over the results again.   Which is stupid as far as I'm concerned.  We've already gone over the results, I want a second opinion from someone else not the same opinion from the same person.  I guess my question is are there any dr's in the Syracuse, NY area who have some knowledge regarding this subject?   Who are open to HRT to treat andropause?  It would probably have to be a general practitioner or something similiar because I'm not going back to the original PA and hope he'll actually give me a referral.