Urology Community

Normal Testosterone Levels

What is considered a "normal" testosterone level for a healthy 45 year old man?  I have been suffering from a variety of symptoms consistent with low testosterone: low sex drive, lack of morning erections, less intensity during ejaculation, less hard erections, irritability, etc..  I had my doctor run blood tests and everything came back normal.  Testosterone was 257 on a scale of 241 - 800.  Doctor says this is normal and will not consider hormone treatments.  The only medication I take is a statin, which has lowered my cholestorol to normal levels.  I am not overweight, nor do I feel depressed.  This has become a major quality of life issue, as my wife is feeling somewhat undeisrable and neglected. I'm not ready to give up on a healthy sex life, but now that my doctor has determined thal all is "normal," I'm not sure what my next step is.  I have unable to find a chart that lists normal testosterone levels by age.  I'm hoping that if I could find some evidence of what I suspect (that my testosterone is indeed low) then I might be able to convince my doctor to consider treating me.  Can you help?
my husband finally told me that his testosterone is at 45. That seems really low and makes sense. He has no sex drive, no energy, and mood swings. I suggested that he get the test because I knew something was wrong. He is 39 and should not be this way.
After years of being diagnosed with Depression and Bipolar I had extensive blood testing. My test score were 246 & 8.06 at 39. Ex pro athlete, but here was the deal Ive had 15 concussions and numerous sub concussions.

Long story short we feel I have Hypothalmic Pitutary Axes Deficiency which sent my body into andropause years ago. Atypical of MMA fighter, NFL, NHL players. Also was diagnosed with secondary hypogonadism.

Ive been on treatment for 3 1/2 months. Not a single episode in over 4 months. Aggresive training and diet Ive lost 25+ lbs. Good cholesterol up Bad down. All inflammation markers low. PSA good. Cortisol low. Test level at high end of optimal level [1100, and 25] and Ive never felt better as I turn 40 next week. Also had hypothyrroidism which is now gone to normal levels with the training and diet shift. This stuff is not a magic bullet. Ive worked my *** off. My Dr. says Im a study of the hard work. Youre not going to take this stuff and drop fat, become a beast and that 'guy'. But it will allow you to feel change. If your smart youll take advantage of it and take command of your life. I have because I have been through hell.

I had to see a hormone specialist. Most GP's have to be convinced, which is BS. Study and research says nothing against HRT/TRT being bad but these Dr's want to treat the symptom and not the cause. Its ridiculous. I sought someone who understand the benefits of TRT and HRT. After 7 years of hardcore Psych meds that I quit 2 years ago Im beyond disgusted & pissed that I was so led astray when we knew the levels were so low but my team of Dr's ignored them. To be noted none of the drugs worked and I just got prescribed more. A living hell

I also take HCG and arimadex too as part of the treatment, eliminated all inflammatory foods, and sugar. Get with the program guys, good living is out there but it doesnt just come from injections or pills. It comes from you... GL
Yo CharlieJ,

Lighten up a bit!  I'm certain you're no expert on luv and relationships, but if you can't muster the compassion for the lady who's obviously distraught and suffering over the situation then say nothing, please!

David T
I had a vasectomy 7 years ago, since then my testicles have shrunk up more then 50%....I have had multiple specialist look into it, testing etc. No issues. I want to know if Clomid will bring them back to original size?  The wife and I miss them:^(
You just answered alot  of questions and concerns for me, I had a two disc fusion in my lower back 3 years ago and was on pain killers for a couple of years leading up to that. I am 42 6'-3" tall and weigh in around 270. My sex drive has all but left since my surgery and with it the issues of depriving my wife and her feeling unwanted and undesireable. I had my blood test last week and My Dr. called and told me my levels are way low and i meet with him tomorrow to discuss treatment, wish i could get him to read all these forums as i have for the last couple of days. I think i took away from this i need the injections and hopefully due to my size he will go rather aggressive and adjust from there. Thanks your words were very helpful.
Hey I had back surgery for a burst disk about a year ago, and have been on oxycodone and methadone (for pain) for two years before my condition was diagnosed properly. Recently, my endocrinologist discovered that I had low testosterone, but no pituitary tumors. He told me two days ago that the pituitary is strongly affected by long term opioid therapy. The pituitary is the master gland of the body, and therefore has many different functions. However, the function of testosterone production is the specific function effected by long term opioid therapy.
I'm a 54 yr old Male 6'4" 311 lbs. I've been suffering from chronic Pain and depression for about 17 yrs. now. Had to retire in 2000 due to them. I feel exactly like a DEAD battery. No energy at all. It got so bad that I honestly thought I was going to die. By then it sounded like relief to tell you the truth. I've been on high doses of Dilaudid since then. I'm a Big boy but I'd never been above 235 lbs until about 8 or nine yrs. ago. Long story short my MD finely got around to checking my T-level. On the tests (I was given 2) I avg. 57. Not 157 or 257, but 57. She said she's never seen a level so low. Friday I started Testosterone CYP 200ml. I gave myself the shot. It's 1ml once a week. I hope it'll help at least a little anyway. I'll try and keep you posted on my results.
look into clomid, 50 ml once a day. my son, 28, was low at 495. After six weeks of clomid, tested today over 1000. Muscle growth, energy, better mood. Talk to a men's health doctor about it. Some docs will not prescribe clomid because its off label for men. but bodybuilders use it to jump start their testoserone production after cycling off steroids.
I wanted to try and help and did not see much info in regards to my case.  I am 41yrs old, 6'3", 240lb.  I have not had a sex life in over 3yrs.  I have never had health issues, drug or alcohol problems.  I started at a regular MD and I was treated with Testosterone injections.  This had no effect.  Another year goes by.  I finally went to a good urologist and started over trying to find out what is wrong with me.  ZERO sex drive, tired in afternoon, a quick trigger w/ anger etc.  All the symptoms..

My urologist did some labs and my testosterone lev = 183 (4.6 free), extremely low.  The kicker here my "PROLACTIN" level was at 454.3 (normal is single digits).  I was told to get am MRI and see a neurologist.  He suspected a prolactinoma which is a tumor on my pituitary glad.  (2) MRI scans confirmed this prognosis.  My tumor is 1.7 centimeter in size.  I am due in for surgery aug 16th to have this removed.  I am fortunate to be a good case for this procedure and very well could be cured and not depend on drugs the rest of my life.  I am scared and relieved at the same time and have hope.  Good luck to you guys and ask your doctor to test for prolactin levels when testing testosterone.  MD's will NOT catch this  go to a good endocrinologist or urologist that specialize in mens hormonal issues.  The 1st step to go
You have found someone that has a low number like yours. I spent three years having my doctor treat the symptoms I had and never got any better. Two weeks ago I asked him if he had any results on my T and he found out that in at least 20 physicals and blood workups he never checked it. Did the blood test and found out I was lower than your 44. Got my first shot and within two days I had more energy than I have had in three years. been going strong for two weeks now. I can hardly wait until I get my next shot. We are a three month cycle and then another blood test to check the level. This has given me back something I just knew was gone and that was a normal life.
Start the treatment and watch as your life improves. My doctor said as we looked at the results this explains everything you have been telling me for three years. He has sent me to see two specialist and they never picked up on it.
why would you take HCG it is pregnancy hormone from women
why would you use HCG it is a pregnancy hormone from women?
Well, I think I had the lowest level the doc has ever seen......he told me at my age(51), my level should be between 260-850. My blood test revealed that my T level was 47........thats right, 47!!!!! No wonder I felt dead.....I also take pain meds 24-7 for a neck injury, I take morphine sulphate, 50mg every 12 hours, it is extended release. Plus, I am a type 2 diabetic, have had one mild heart attack also. I am on androgel 1.62% now, and have been taking it for about 2 months, and I can really feel a difference so far. I used to get hot flashes and sweats just sitting doing nothing, and that has gone down a good bit. I also have had more of a sex drive since being on the gel. My pain doc told me that opaites shrink your testicles, thus reducing sex drive, but its gettin better every day......
Hi. To respond to your question about narcotics and low testosterone, there is now ample evidence that at least 40% of long-time users of narcotics will experience primary hypogonadism. After I was weaned off of morphine, which I had been on for chronic back pain, I had my Dr. test me for T. The result was that of a 90 year old. I was so below the bottom end of normal it was shocking. Up here in Canada we use the S.I.system. The normal range was 8.6-29.5 nmol/L. My level was 3.4 nmol/L. I began depo-Testosterone shots and felt a lot better. The only thing left is that the narcotic also led to gynecomastia forming (girl boobs)!! WM.
Hello Dr. Venna, I am 50 year old male. I have muscular shape. I use the gym on an average of six days a week. I have cholesterol of 184 and my HDL is around 34.
I have been using a program with Peptides. CJC 1295 – GHRP – and Ipamorelin  
I use an insulin needle to add each of the liquids up to the number five. Example,  During the day I do two times a day with the insulin needle filled to the number ten, (five of the CJC 1295 and five of the GHRP) at night I use (five of the CJC 1295 and five of the Ipamorelin)
I also take the steroid Testosterone Enanthate once a week.  I fill the needle to 2 ½ assuming that is 25 mg’s. I am going on a cycle of 12 weeks then off for three months nothing, then back again.
Dr. this all being said, I have a testosterone level of 2270, is this dangerous for a person of my age.
hi ya Refe 44 just wanted you to know i have a pituitary tumor and take shots my self the shot only stays in your system for a week that is why your level are still low when you check them    take half the dose 1 a week ask your doctor about it or to look into it think this will help hope this helped some
Wow! It has been 3 years since you posted this! I have been going through the low T thing too, and in the process, I did some research. One of the things I found was something called Hemochromatosis. It is the most common genetic disease there is, and it is most prevalent in those of Northern European descent. Simply put, those with this disease have an affinity for iron, so it builds up in the body, in places you don't WANT, OR NEED IT! This leads to a list of symptoms which match yours! The solution is pretty easy: they take a lot of your blood to get your iron levels back down to normal, and then continue to take it at regular intervals. If you haven't been checked for this yet, DO IT NOW!!!
I tested negative for it, but you are CLASSIC!
Good luck! (Oh, it is genetic, as I mentioned, so make sure your kids are aware of it!)