Urology Community

Normal Testosterone Levels

What is considered a "normal" testosterone level for a healthy 45 year old man?  I have been suffering from a variety of symptoms consistent with low testosterone: low sex drive, lack of morning erections, less intensity during ejaculation, less hard erections, irritability, etc..  I had my doctor run blood tests and everything came back normal.  Testosterone was 257 on a scale of 241 - 800.  Doctor says this is normal and will not consider hormone treatments.  The only medication I take is a statin, which has lowered my cholestorol to normal levels.  I am not overweight, nor do I feel depressed.  This has become a major quality of life issue, as my wife is feeling somewhat undeisrable and neglected. I'm not ready to give up on a healthy sex life, but now that my doctor has determined thal all is "normal," I'm not sure what my next step is.  I have unable to find a chart that lists normal testosterone levels by age.  I'm hoping that if I could find some evidence of what I suspect (that my testosterone is indeed low) then I might be able to convince my doctor to consider treating me.  Can you help?
I have a similar scenario. I can get FreeT4 and TSH done [mid range] but T3 and its reverse is out of the question for normal requirements in many places.
I got the book by Dr Durrant -Peatfield and wised up accordingly, but the Docs all just want to believe T4 magic numbers and not get into probably expensive and exploratory areas of secondary hypothyroidism..
I did have a head injury 7 years ago and this was neglected, also.
I've had high BP lethargy, fatigue,sleep problems and lowT the latter now finally being addressed by Endo using creams for now. This is not my ideal solution- but movement in the right direction, at least.
I've seen that hypothyroid issues can affect Test. levels but not the reverse, Many of these metabolic interactions will take time to settle out and it seems you have a lot happening at once here.
That's an awful lot of weight gain, also. Diet/exercise advice?
I am internal medicine physician ,for almost 2 years now I have been having symptoms like mood swings ,fatigue ,low sexual drive ,I am 35 ,single ,my GF obviously not satisfied ,I checked my T level and came back at 267 ,
I honestly thought of moving on as the reference range says normal  above 200 ,until  I checked out this thread ,I am definitely going to see Endo or urologist to start me on HRT .
Thanks to every one for the feedback .
Yeah, just pray to Jesus to give you more testosterone. I just found mine is 119(L) ng/dl. Think I'll be going in for the shot as I have not enough energy to even pray.
I have a lot of the same symptoms. Still waiting for my lymes test, but got my positive MONO test back already. I have low t too. (119/ngdl). Going in for a shot. Some on here that are in sports will take shots if their T levels fall below 400.
I am 64 and have been on testosterone shots for. 4 years. My low testosterone is caused because I'm on morphine therapy for back pain which depletes testosterone in your body. Anyway, I have found that weekly shots are better than very 2 weeks or monthly. Weekly shots keep the level even. Whereas longer times between shots causes a roller coaster effect and you can feel the up and down. For me, between 80 mg and 100mg IM seems to help. There are possible side effects like increased PSA. On several occasions I have had to go off my testosterone for 4-6 weeks to make sure my PSA came down, which it did. So it's a balancing act, but well worth it. I have bee off it now for 5 weeks and my level is down to 100. So I'm looking forward to restarting it. Good luck!
Try going .4 ml 2 times a week subQ.
My doctor says testosterone replacements such as Axiron can cause prostrate cancer in men especially over 50 like me.
I AM 42 AND RECENTLY TESTED THE SERUM TESTOSTERONE & REPORT SHOWS READING OF 1147, SO WHAT TO DO?
Hey there is most definately a connection between narcotics and low testosterone levels. I am 29 years old and suffer from severe chronic back pain, after two unsucessful surgeries, I finally gave in to temptation and switched from "semi-narcotic/almost" pain killers (nucynta) and a low dosage of hydrocodone and began taking Opana (oxymorphone) and hydrocodone. While soley on Nucynta I was still in a lot of pain but experienced no symptoms of low-T. After my second surgery hydrocodone was added to the mix for break through pain and within two months I noticed a significant decrease in libidio and energy levels. Over the next several months those symptoms had only become worse and with the addition of opana, I had NO!!! desire for sex and was always tired, I began having trouble maintaining and losing weight, I didn't feeel like myself anymore, and noticed I was only shaving half as often. I was very upset and confused about the symptoms, not making the connection myself. The lack of sex began seriously affecting my relationship. I still loved my girlfriend with all my heart and wanted to have a physical relationship with her. I knew it wasn't boredom or Erectile Dysfunction (I still got erections in the AM), or even the back pain. It finally dawned on me when trying to figure out why I had no libido when remembering that my sex drive had always superceeded my pain, the hormones ultimately always would eventually outweigh the pain. It was that thought that made me connect the rest of my symptoms and I asked my doctor to test me after explaining my suspisions. Keep in mind I am only 29 years old, my level was 64 ng/dl my range was supposed to be between 364-1199 ng/dl for a man my age. I was hust prescribed androgel so hopefully everything improves,
You people are asking your doctors about your numbers and they say your results are in the normal range.  Different labs have different tests that result in different "normal ranges."  Ask the blood lab for a copy of your test, it will show the normal range for their test.

Also, while there may not be a separate set of charts for different age ranges, the fact is that "normal" (or at least average and median) T level goes down as we age.

My tests read 299 on a normal scale of 250-1100, and 47.5 on a scale of 35-155.  I asked my family doctor to be tested and described the problem (10 years of essentially being a eunuch - i was able to successfully have and complete intercourse twice in that time  and yes in my 30s i was a total stud).  So if the T treatment leaves me with no balls I don't think I'll be much different.  I don't want romance, I don't want sex, cialis/levitra/viagra don't do a thing, i've lost muscle mass,   I've been able to get enough of an erection to masturbate twice in the past 3 years, and was only half hard when I ended ejaculating, which isn't that much fun.  My energy level is quite low.  Oh and I was married to a beautiful woman 25 years my junior and she couldn't turn me on, except that oral sex worked beautifully - but I couldn't expect her to just give me oral over and over with nothing for her (she didn't like oral).  Ok this is tmi.  Anyway my family doctor said the test was expensive and the normal range so large that insurance wouldn't pay for the test and he wouldn't order it.  I checked, my insurance pays for the test, so I got my pain specialist to order it, and he indicates he'll pprobably prescribe the shots.  BTW that family doctor is gone for incompetence in this and other areas.

Let me clarify - rationally, i want romance and sex, but physically i just don't give a damn about it.  I just turned 50 and this started fairly suddenly at about 37.  It is complicated by my diagnosis of bipolar disorder at 39, which added about 6 medications to my regimen (and side effects galore) and thus I am only now getting around to being assertive about taking action for low T.

I for one am going to try the therapy if prescribed it.
Apply for ssdi, and 4 months later apply for reconsideration.  If you're one of the lucky 30%, they'll approve you.  If not, get a lawyer (works on commission, part of your back pay if you win, no charge if you lose), and file for a hearing before an administrative law judge.  60% of cases are approved at this level.  That just leaves 10% unapproved that would need to appeal to a federal district court.  The process generally takes about 2 years (mine took 20 months, 14 of which were waiting for the hearing, and then the judge made a summary decision (granted me ssdi without the actual hearing) based on the evidence.  So I would encourage you to apply again, appeal, and then get a lawyer.  I am a regular in a chat room for bipolar people, and have heard this same story about getting ssdi over and over.

Oh, and don't worry if they review you.  They reviewed me at 4 years and haven't since (I've been on it 11 years now).  But my mom knew a paraplegic who got reviewed every year!  Just be honest and consult your lawyer if you're not sure how to answer a question.

-Mike
Men are also affected by low sex drive.  I'm not a doctor and I don't know if your man has low-T.  However, I know what a total lack of sex drive and performance ability for 12 years has done to my ego, self esteem, and the pleasure I (used to) get out of life.  It may not apply in your case but when a man who is used to having really great sex 3/night 3 nights/week goes down to once a month, and then to never, it affects him emotionally too.  Regardless of your man's T level, it sounds like he has some additional issues...even with my almost total impotence i still would like to sleep with and cuddle with a woman, just not with the sex included.
I believe HCG causes cell growth and increases metabolism.  It stands for, I think, Human Chorionic Gonadtropin.  It's critical for the development of a fetus and that's why it's known as a "women's" hormone.  It's one of the steroids athletes use to bulk up (often against the rules of their sport).  It causes muscle growth.
Your doc is stubborn i am 49 and just last week had my level tested.  Was 287 and was prescribed androgel 1% your level is borderline failure, 250-1100 is considered normal. U are 7 points above acceptable. My doctor put it like this, you should be between 500-1000.  After only 2 days of treatment i am feeling a tinge more manly so to speak and feel my mind and libido feeling slightly better. Get rid of that quack and go see a different doc.  For crying out loud
Hi I am a 24 male and i wanted to know what is the the normal testosterone level for someone my age because I have an erection at least every 20 minutes can you email me cameron.***@****
No offense but it seems to me that your not concerned with "Low T" which is clearly the topic made subject of this entire thread.  The rest of us wish we had erections every 20 minutes....like we did when we were 20 years old as well.  You do not have Low T problem. In fact, u dont have a problem.  Just get yourself a gf or  at least a bottle of jergens, play sports, enjoy your raging hormones bc you are wasting our time.
I am 30 my test level was 135 today too low to be treated.. I have to retest in the morning Saturday. I'm freaked out any advice? I'm healthy weight and workout but do take pks daily would that effect the results of my test if I had taken 6 the day  of the test.?
One thing I've learned from insurance companies and pharmacist trying to get Low-T medicines; it is much easier to get narcotics than it is getting medicine for just wanting to show love for your mate. Narcotics kill and they pass it out like candy. This game is really twisted.... Stop looking at scales to see what is normal because we are all different and there is no one size fits all in diversity. What may be normal for one may be abnormal for another individual. We are all from diverse cultures and we should not be measured the same. Cecil cell anemia is a Black culture disease....
Very Interesting read. Seems like a good place to vent.
First off, Jerrold, as a gym rat in a former life before everything went pear shaped it is not about just working out. My knee has been killing me for 3 weeks now from sauntering around an antiques mall for an hour. It's like being in the desert with an 1/8th of a tank of gas and no gas stations exist anywhere.

As I hit my late 30's I started getting sick a lot. low energy. Started trying to figure it out. tried no wheat for a month. day 3 energy shot through the roof. Ended up with trying to go gluten free. Took a while as it wasn't as "popular" back then. Then my energy started waning again.
Had my Thyroid tested last year. Hypo. It helped pull me out of the "foot in the grave" feeling but again started waning.
Testosterone test. 6 failed attempts at a blood draw from anylabtestnow.
First test came back 161 total, 4.8 free.
Switched clinics. Tested again. a week ago. came back 187 in early morning. Don't know the free.
Another blood draw Friday to get some more stuff tested and verify Test.
Find out why my T is low. We'll see.
I'm 47. I have a Varicocele since early teens. My Dad had one too. I also have lipomas. My girlfriend thinks I may have one pressing on my pituitary which seems a reasonable possibility.

I'm so tired of being tired. My workouts throw me on my *** for days. I end up taking 8-10 hour naps at the end of a week just to keep up. Little to no sex drive. Even Sildenafil is only somewhat effective but I feel so detached from its effect.

Should find out next week what the next step is.

I also am overweight but for no reason it would seem. no junk food. I recently completed the whole30 and I'm still going on it. I've lost 20 lbs. and I need new clothes but my energy levels haven't really improved like a  lot of people say happens. I have a very poor metabolism.

I haven't been able to have a solid normal poop since I don't know when.

I've also shrunk 3/4" of an inch Height wise.