Urology Community

Pain after Inguinal Hernia Operation

Hello, I hope you can help me.In March 2007 I had an Inguinal Hernia repair operation on both sides after I had experienced bad groin pain for about six weeks. About three weeks after the surgery, I developed testicular pain in both left and right testicle with the left one swelling up dramatically. After going for a scan it was observed that I had a hydrocele on my left side. Six weeks after My original operation, I was hospitalised after I developed severe pain on the right side of my groin. The pain quickly spread to my scrotum and testes. Fearing that I had testicular torsion the urology team performed a procedure where they attached the testicles to my scrotum. They also repaired the hydrocele. They found no evidence of torsion. This was the first of my flare ups. These flare ups have continued to the present day (September 8th 2007) on an intermittent basis but almost always starting on right groin and radiating downwards. For several months it was believed I had epididymitis but despite numerous antibiotics being given, there was no change in my condition. I have had a CT scan which came up clear. Recently I have been prescribed Lyrica 75 gram. This is apparently the strongest painkiller that can be given and it has had no effect. No other painkiller has worked during a flare up. My pain management doctor has said I may need an operation if the situation persists. Have you ever come across a similar situation? I am a 26 year old male otherwise in quite good health. My problem has interfered greatly with the quality of life I have now. Thanks for your help
I've had a ingrunial surgery repair a few months ago and till to this day I have been expierincing sharp pains along with burning sensations which makes me twitch in the area that the mesh was placed that runs from the incision area to my groin area. I've been prescribed alot of pain pills had an ultra sound to check if there was any fluids, bile etc etc and nothing could be found. So Ive been prescribed lyrica for Nuero pain  along with hydrocodone and was told that there's nothing else that they can do for me. The lyrica helps a lil I do still expierence pain that makes me twitch. I do not like what the lyrica is doing to me pyshcologically. Its messing with my head and emotions. The pain the meds are interfering with my day to day life. I feel that all they did for me was is feed me pills and didn't take me serious regarding the pain I been complaining about. Now I'm here left with no answers this pain and taking these meds which is messing with me. I need help I don't know what to do anymore.....HELP!
So is there any answers for all these questions because I haven't seen any questions being answered. If any one out there has any kind of information or answers for me pls contact me via email @ ***@****      (808mike)
I had laproscopic illioinguinal hernia repair Jan 19 2005 while I was in the military. The night of the surgery I went to pee and felt something POP then a burning, stabbing pain in the groin. Over the next 3 months my leg would go numb when I was walking, I would feel electricity or ants marching in my right teste and thigh, a painful lump in my groin that interferes with sex and by September of that year I was using a cane to walk as NONE OF THE DOCTORS IN FT POLK KNEW WHAT WAS WRONG!! A year and a half later I was med boarded due to disability even tho they didn't know what was wrong. In 2007 a friend suggested I see a specialist who said I had lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome, meshoma, spermatic chord impengement, and a couple other problems. It still wasn't until recently I was told all of it added up to post herriopathy pain syndrome. I have been fighting the veterans admin for years because they take the militarys side and act like I'm crazy even tho there own chief of surgery in Delaware said another op would make pain worse, cause blood vessels to bled out and/or cause me to lose my right testicle. I have developed PTSD and a depressive disorder from 6 1/2 years of this. I've been on every pain killer known to man and at this point would like to know is a second op worth it or will it make it worse? To those of you wondering what it is look up post herriopathy pain syndrome. If you are in the military and this has happened go see JAG because you only have 1 1/2 to sue under tort claims laws.
Also get the op report and see what type of mesh patch was used. That is important to know. Kugel patches are known to be deffective. KEEP ALL YOUR RECORDS DO NOT LET THEM SCREW YOU OVER LIKE THEY DID ME!
Here's an update to my prior post.  It is now almost 5 months since my March 21st operation.  My pain seems to be completely gone.  I no longer have to wear briefs for support.  My only discomfort is that I feel the mesh kind of constricting when I sit forward in my office chair.  I no longer have pain or tenderness to the touch, wearing boxers is fine, and I can exercise daily and move as much as ever.  Finally, I can see the upside of having the operation.

I hope this is useful to people with recent operations.  If you wait long enough, it CAN get better.  My sympathy to those for whom it didn't/doesn't.
Hi friends, sounds like me and you in same boat,is it possible to remain hopeful
I have ache  plus poor urine flow and poor ejectulation .is it possible 3 months too early
for recovery any comments welcome
Scheduled for surgery this week, this site has me freaked out. Spent the last 6 months in pain, no one knew what it was. They thought it was my hip. After running and lifting it finally popped out. If I dont do the surgery I will be in pain the rest of my life, plus wont be an athelete which is my life, plus it could get strangulation. Hope it goes well.
My son had hernia surgery at 7 weeks in 1992. What the surgeon failed to tell us is that this is an actual birth defect, and that some point in time he will have problems. In Jan of 2011 my son got out of bed screaming in pain (now 18 years old). I looked, called an ambulance and 2 hours later he was in surgery for a testicular torsion. This surgeon was the one that explained the above, also stating that now he is more likely to get testicular cancer as well. Please talk to your doctor and make sure he tells you everything so that you do not have the same suprise we did!
Update...I had a CT of my chest done and they found a Thymoma. From what I read all my leg pain could be stemming from myasthenia gravis but have no way of knowing since my VA doc refuses to test me for it. Every other symptom fits...muscle cramps, exhaustion, fatigue, left eye droop, Thymoma, chest pain, airway constriction, blurry vision, it even explains my leg pain as Thymoma causes excess antibodies to be produced and attack the muscles in the leg (where all my pain has been since the surgery). Does anyone else know about myasthenia gravis? Does it sound like what I have?
I have an Iguinal Hernia 2 weeks ago. I am thinking of doing the suergery. Now, after reading all the posts here, I am thinking twice about it. Is there any hope of doing the surgery (laprascopic) with normal outcome (i.e: 1-2 weeks, then normal again).
Hery JR6667,
How did it go with your surgery? Hope all is good...
Hi I'm 24yrs old and about 2 weeks ago I was in the bathroom and noticed a bulge under my bellybutton on the right side that just seemed to apper out of nowhere. I'm a contractor and do alot of heavy lifting at work most days. Earlier that day I loaded about 5 tons worth of Handy Sand onto a trailer, (100lb bags). N-E-Way, My fience (In college-Future RN)took a look at it, ( I told her to come to the bathroom, I had a big bulge to show her) lol. After she took a look she told me to go to our doc because it looked like a inguinal hernia. So I went and my intelligent girl was right. Now I have to have surgery and was not to worried about it till I started reading all these posts about severe testicle pain following the surgery!!  Are the results you all had post surgery common? Are my balls gonna be in fire after surgery or are these side affects not usual. Give me some numbers, are the fire balls 1 out of every 2 people, or is it more like 1 out of every 5,000 people. Just wondering, thanks everyone for frying my nerves like Momma's Chicken & Grits.
Hi SemperFiDoOrDie,

I had a left and right inguinal hernia repair done, with mesh, about a year ago (Nov 2010 if I remember correctly).  The official name was: "laparascopic bilateral inguinal hernia repair with mesh" - they stuck Bard 3DMax in me - doc said it was "the best - really expensive stuff."  I knew they were gonna use mesh before surgery, and did some research.  I wound up on this forum today because for the past week or two I've had some strange "symptoms," but I'll talk about those below.  I'm sure at this point you're just looking for some good news about this.  Like you, I had a bulge on the right side.  The left side was just weak, and to avoid having it blow out someday I just had both sides fixed at once.  The surgery went fine, laparascopy seems to be the way to go.  I was literally back on my feet within a week and back to pretty much normal within 3-4 weeks.  Much better than the long and difficult recovery I've heard about with traditional surgery.  As for pain, the first few nights were difficult, but that's surgery and the pain meds were awesome.  My testicles both seem to be fine, although after surgery I would occasional get slight twinges of very intermittent (only a few seconds) of pain in the right one; those have gone away, and I honestly don't remember the last time it happened.  To be honest I've been in great shape since the repair, and it's nice not having that bulge or worrying about it becoming strangulated (a true medical emergency).  The only discomfort I've ever experienced was with bowel movements, in which I was "reminded" about the repair by slight pressure and discomfort, but never any serious pain.  SO FAR, it has been very much worth it.  Consider all the risks and benefits when making your decision.  This thread does make the repair sound risky, but not getting it fixed can be life-threatening, and if your intestine becomes strangulated, it can result in problems a LOT worse than anything you've read here...if you survive it.

Now, most recently I did a lot of heavy lifting and moving of stuff.  I also have a two-year-old who weighs in excess of 30 lbs.  Pre-hernia, I wouldn't break a sweat with that kind of activity.  But now, moving in certain ways (such as certain twists, bends, or muscle movements in the lower abdomen) will cause a brief, sharp, stabbing pain, at or in the very near vicinity of where the repairs were done.  Sometimes takes my breath away.  I've also experienced a rather sudden change in stools.  Sorry if TMI, but the sudden onset and the collection of symptoms I find rather striking.  My diet hasn't really  changed these last several months, and after reading about the aftermath of having certain meshes installed, I'm planning on having my doc take a look.  My fears, justified or not, include bowel constriction and/or affixing of the intestine to the repair.  Obviously I'm not completely obstructed yet, so that's good.  These episodes are extremely brief, but occasionally get to the point and frequency where I just can't lift my son (usually after I've done a lot of lifting with him).  Otherwise I can still toss him about pretty well.  I may just be overly straining myself.  Maybe I need to up the fiber.  In any case, I don't yet regret the repair, and hope things will improve soon.
I have had two bilateral inguinal hernia surgeries, once without mesh (1987) and once with mesh (2004) . My left side didn't work out so well and the hernia reoccured. These surgeries were not without some discomfort for a couple months. It takes time, rest and not overdoing yourself to recover fully. Being normal as you mentioned, after two weeks post op, is not going to happen. I recently (4wks ago) had open left inguinal hernia repaired again using mesh. This time I am experiencing left testicular swelling (about three times normal size) and some jabbing pain and burning sensation in my lower left abdomen. My urologist put me on cipro and an anti-inflamatory drug and has me scheduled for a doppler ultrasound to check for circulation issues and to see if the testicle may or may not be dead. I will post the outcome of the test and the recommondations of the doctor as soon as I know myself. I replied to your post because I believe that a person can live a long life nursing a hernia along, as long as your doctor doesn't think your in danger of intestinal stangulation. If you can live safely with the occational discomfort and still have a normal life dont have the surgury. Best of luck JB      
Kill all Doctors !
Kill all Doctors !
Hi Ron
I had left open inguinal hernia surgury four weeks ago. My left testicle is also very large, about three times normal size, and similar to the desciption you made of yours. I went back to my doc at the scheduled two week post op visit, he said the swelling was normal and to wear briefs or athletic supporter. I was still in pain the following week so I made an appointment to see my urologist. He scheduled a doppler ultrasound and the results were not good, no blood flow at all. The urologist said that it most likely died 6hrs after the blood supply was cut off. He also said no operation was needed and that the body would assimillate the dead tissue over time. So if your in the same boat I'm in you haven't done yourself any harm.I just wish the surgeon was more up front with the possible complications from this operation maybe I would have opted out.
I got the results of my ultrasound today and leftie has passed away due to lack of blood supply. The urologist said the dead testicle will reabsorb into the body and eventually shrink, I have no idea how long "eventually" is but I hope it's quick. I'm still having issues with pain but it's bearable with advil.
Hello. I wanted to ask you if your problem has been resolved. I am an otherwise healthy 43 year old male who had right side inguinal hernia repair done almost a week ago and I am experiencing testicular pain very similar to what you have described. I went to the ER a couple days ago and they did blood work (which they said came back normal) and a CAT scan which they said showed what they believed to be an abscess and some infection,
When I returned to the doctor that performed the surgery he dismissed the Er doctor's findings and said everything (including the pain a described) was either normal (or at least not unheard of). He said the pain was due to the nerves down there and the surgery and mesh placed down there disturbing those nerves. He assured me that the pain would eventually subside.
I'd like to know how you are currently doing and if you could offer me any useful information or feedback. Anything would be greatly appreciated.  
my surgery was sept last year, still in pain, right groin and down inside of right leg, also pins and needle in right foot and occasionally the foot goes purple.  Had an Mri monday gone, so I am hoping that something was found and I can get my life back, will post again when the results come in
thank you so much for your feedback and good luck with everything!