Urology Forum

Pain from scrotum to abdomen to back

I'm a 34 year old male. This summer I began to experience a dull ache in my left scrotum, like I had been kicked in the balls. That went away and was followed by a host of symptoms - including pain and sensitivity around my penis head - that made me think I had an STD. I went to Planned parenthood and was diagnosed with epididymidis and put on antibiotics.

Things seemed okay until late last week when I began to experience severe lower back pain on my left side. The muscles would tighten and felt bruised. Then the scrotal pain began again on the same side, this time much more severely than over the summer. The pain would also radiate up in a straight line into my abdomen, and I began to experience sharp pains in my back just above the previous muscular pain. Finally, the area of the groin between my waist and my penis became sore, but only when pressed.

My initial thought was hernia, but the pain that goes from the testicle to the abdomen and the pain in the back make me wonder. I am without health insurance at the moment and I'm pretty concerned about paying for a hernia surgery.
I agree with the approach thus far, and STDs should indeed be ruled out.

Prostatitis is sometimes difficult to diagnosis, and can lead to some of the symptoms you describe.

A prostatic massage, where fluid can be sent for culture and analysis, as well as a transrectal ultrasound can be done to exclude infection or an abscess.

Otherwise, imaging of the pelvis can be done to exclude a hernia or abscess.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or in conjunction with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
Oh, and I don't know if this is connected or important, but the pain often occurs with gas/gas pains. It almost feels like the scrotal pain is creating the gas, which makes no actual sense.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.