This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Pain in urethra/burning/sore internal vein?

Hi. 37 year old male here. Had a ruptured bladder 2 years ago during a bowel operation. It was repaired and i had a catheter in the urethra-bladder (6 weeks) and 2 stints from bladder-kidneys to prevent deviation of those tubes also for 6-8 weeks which was very uncomfortable.
My main problem in burning/pain at the end of the urether. On the left side just inside the opening there is a very inflamed sore spot.When its opened up it bulges out like a red vein. The right side is ok.
i had some urgency and kidney pain also.
My urologist said this area is very vascular normally and did a cystocopy and said i had some inflamation and interstitial cystitis. My bladder was stretched with water under pressure.
The urgency has improved somewhat, in fact it seems to improve when the urethra pain is less.
It is also suspected i have some kideny reflux causing some kidney pain when i get up in the mornings. Im having another cystocopy (fill the bladder under pressure again) and a cystogram to check the kidneys
I have no infections that have been found. Ive had most tests including a IVP.
The pain in my urethra is constant (all day long/night) in the area i described.It burns always on ejculation which makes it worse. It also burns most of the time on urination. It is very uncomfortable/sore like there is something in there and makes me feel like i need to pass water.
I have tried putting some lignocaine on it and this does help alittle. Pain killers have no effect, asprin makes it worse, and codein and paracetamol does nothing. NSAID's also do nothing.
To me it seems like a very localised pain. And this red bulge is always visible inside just inside the opening of the penis on the left.
My urologist looked again at my last visit and said this is a vein, and sometimes they are prominant, but thinks my pain etc is coming from further up. Im not convinced, there was no improvement after my last hydration of the bladder with my urethra symptoms, only some of my urgency symptoms.
Can this vein/bulging in the (meatus?)area be removed or treated to eliminate it from a possibility?


Read more
Discussion is closed
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
Tough to say without examination.  You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation, including several cystoscopies.  

I would ensure there is no evidence of infection - which I'm sure has already been considered with tests for STDs as well as sending off the urine for urinalysis.  

Dermatitis can lead to an inflammation of the urethra - leading to sensitivity and discomfort.  A dermatologist can look at the area to see if this is the case.  

I'm not sure what to make of the vein without examination.  If you are not satisfied with your urologist's explaination, a second opinion is always advised.

You can discuss these options with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed