Pediatric Urology Question

My 6-year-old son is experiencing very painful urination immediately after swimming. It does not matter if he is swimming in a pool or the ocean, it's the same either way. This first happened about a year ago, and has occurred every time has has swam since then (which has only been about five times). The first occurrence happened about an hour after he was out of the water. But for the last two occurrences, he began experiencing pain after being in the water for about 15 minutes (ocean and then a few days later at a pool) and it was so bad he was crying. After he urinates the pain subsides, but when he initially starts to urinate the pain/burning is so intense he screams. He does not have problems with pain or urination at any other time, and we go months and months without swimming but each time it's the same problem. We've tried having him urinate right before he goes swimming, rinsing off as soon as he is done swimming, etc. There is no blood in the urine, no foul smell, nothing abnormal looking on the skin, etc. At first I thought it was a reaction to chlorine, but since it's happening at the beach too, I'm at a loss. Any suggestions on what it could be? Thank you!
Burning during urination after swimming is due to contact dermatitis or an allergy to chlorine in the water. After swimming, wash him well with plenty of fresh water and also rinsehis  genitalia thoroughly with fresh water. Then pat it dry with a soft towel and make him change into dry clothes before peeing. Give him plenty of fluids and juices especially citrus juices and if the symptoms still persist then infections and chlorine allergy have to be ruled out.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Thank you for the repsonse but I'm not sure you reviewed my entire summary. The burning happens when he swims in BOTH a pool and in the ocean...where there is no chlorine.
Ocean water has plenty of organic and inorganic contents and contact with any of these can be responsible for causing such symptoms. To rule out any chlorine allergy he needs to get an evaluation done from an allergist. Skin tests and blood tests like RAST are needed to confirm the diagnosis.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community