Urology Forum

Penis lump and soreness

On May 30th 2003 I had a vasectomy performed under general. The Doctor told me he had cut the tubes,lasered the ends and then stitched them back.

I have now developed a stiffness in the Urethra and what feels like a small lump about 1 inch from the tip..

My penis is also sore on the right side sometimes but not always.

Several times after sex with my wife I have noticed the skin to be red and sore.

When I achieve an erection either voluntary(I have to use Viagra ) or involuntarily of a night or morning the pain in the top half of my penis is very sore. It also feels as though my penis is going to burst from pressure as I am about to ejaculate.It always wakes me up with the soreness.

There is no

Is this a normal reaction to the vasectomy and will settle down or is something amiss .

I have not been back to the Urologist yet.

Thank you

Here are the known complications of a vasectomy:

Mild Discomfort
Some men report a mild aching sensation to the scrotum for a few hours to a few days after the procedure.

Hematomas
Mild bleeding into the scrotum causing small tender swelling for a few days.(1/400). A major bleed into the scrotum causing a grapefruit sized scrotum which will take months to heal (1/1000).

Infection
Redness and pus from the healing site opening (1/100).

Epididymitis
Tender swelling of the epididymis, the tube connecting the vas deferens and the testes (1/100).

Sperm granuloma
A small, potentially uncomfortable, bead-like structure made of leaked sperm that may develop at the site where the tube was cut and blocked (1/500).

Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome
A very rare complication of a persisting dull ache in the testicle where the inflammation does not settle down. It may resolve on its own or may need another surgical procedure 1/1000).

Failure
Because a doctor has inadequately blocked one or both tubes, or because one or both tubes has rejoined ( less than 1/2500).

Antisperm antibodies
Produced by the body in response to the absorbed sperm. The antibodies are thought to be non-harmful but can make fertility difficult to restore later.

Other uncommon complications have been reported.

Most experienced vasectomists report complication rates around 5%.

Typically, the pain is limited to the testicle.  If you are having penile pain, you may want to consider evaluation for an infection (i.e. urinalysis and STD testing).  If negative, evaluation of the prostate and possible cystoscopy can be considered to evaluate for any anatomical abnormalities that may be causing your symptoms (strictures or polyps).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
My husband has a tubelike soreness/redness on penis behind gland penis..or top
it is so sore we cannot have sex aor touch it...HELP(it is not open sore) just red.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.