Urology Community

Possible Kidney stones?

This will be the second time this has occured in my life, and i'm unsure what it is, and have yet to see a doctor concerning it. I'll do my best to describe the issue. I am a 22 year old male.

The previous evening I was suddenly experiencing fairly severe lower abdominal pain, the pain was considerably stronger when i was standing and walking. While standing and walking I was even experiencing very slight naseau. The abdominal pain I was feeling was most prominent around or slightly above my pelvic bone on either side of my body. Towards the front of the abdomen. After about an hour or two I began shaking uncontrollably, by that time i was lieing in my bed with a blanket on, I couldn't manage to get warm.

I went to sleep rather early due to this, despite the fair amount of pain I didn't have much trouble getting to sleep. Woke up to urinate later, the pain had subsided, the shaking and feverish symptoms subsided, i could feel on my sheets that I had been sweating quite a bit in my sleep. This morning at work I feel fine despite some tenderness in the same areas on the lower abdomen.

I'll note here that almost this exact same scenario was experienced by me a few months prior, maybe half a year ago. The only difference is that I didn't experience the feverish symptoms. It took about a day or two for the tenderness in my abdomen to subside.

Could this be minor stones being passed, or otherwise? At this point i'm most likely going to be seeing a doctor concerning it soon enough, but any further insight would be appreciated.

Renal stones do cause sever pain when they pass down the ureters, but this pain is accompanied by nausea and not by chills or rigors. UTIs, however, can cause severe abdominal pain of a cramping sort and can be associated with fever, chills, nausea, and vomiting.

As this appears to be an intermittent, recurrent problem, it will need to be investigated further to rule out any serious causes.

You can have a blood test and a urinalysis done as these will provide an idea as to the type of reaction the body had and the possible cause. If the cause is infectious, it can be treated with antibiotics.

Pain from renal stones is colicky and individuals are usually unable to lie still and end up rolling about restlessly. Additionally, the pain would be somewhere in the flanks or toward the lower back.

Ensure that you keep your fluid intake over 2000 ml per day and have the abovementioned tests done for aiding diagnosis.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.