Urology Forum

Prosatitis - Symptoms and Treatment

2 wks ago I went to the ER with the need to urinate frequently.  I was put on CIPRO for a week and the following Monday I made an appt with a respected URologist.  During the week of my first CIPRO treatment (before the URO appt) I had a decrease in the need to urinate - eventually it wasn't as urgent all the time.  Although there was a mild nagging sensation from time to time.  The only time it got really bad - felt like I needed to urinate was when I was laying flat on my back in bed.  I also noticed that I felt constipated and rectal fullness.  I also felt like I was having a weaker stream and when I went to urinate was only dribbling urine from time to time.  The URO did a Urine test,a DRE, and bladder sonogram.  He diagnosed Prostatitis and gave me 4 weeks of CIPRO w/ Advil. I ceased spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeinated soda.  After about 3 more days on the antibiotic and Advil I began to get depressed and anxious because I felt like I wasn't getting as much relief as I should.  I still had the underlying feeling to urinate from time to time and especially at night when I was lying on my bed.  I called the Dr.'s office and explained that I was terrified of having to feel like this for the rest of my life.  I was assured that Prostatitis was treatable.  Even though the Dr's office said this is treatable, I get panicked when I read about those who haven't had any success with getting this cured. I guess I'm looking for reassurance that PROSTATITIS is treatable.
Prostatitis can be difficult to treat, and may require extended periods of antibiotics - sometimes as long as 4 to 12 weeks.

I would assume that a urine test has already been done.  You should also consider a prostatic massage, and send off any prostatic fluid for culture and analysis.  

Imaging with a transrectal ultrasound can also be done to rule out an abscess.  

I would discuss the aforementioned tests with your personal urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.