Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

Prostatitis treatments

I am 30 years old.  I was diagnosed with prostatitis about two months ago.  I have burning sensation, urgency, and increased frequency significant enough to keep me from sleeping.  The symptoms seem to increase when I lay down.  The symptoms are confined to my penis.  My doctor has done several urinanalysis, rectal exams, cystopscopy (sp?), and gotten no abnormal results that he has shared with me.  I have been on several different types of antibiotics with no noticable effect, but I have found that laying on a heating pad helps reduce the symptoms. My doctor has been treating me with flomax and pyridium plus (which I take at night) for two months now.    The symptoms ebb and flow, but never quite disappear.  An average of once a week they get so bad that even with the Pyridium I cannot sleep for about 48 hours.  

Are these symptoms consistent with prostatitis, or is it possible that I have something else?
Is there some question I should be asking my doctor?
Is there some other treatment available besides what I am on that might be more effective?
I have read that pyridium plus may be habit forming.  Are there alternatives?  How long can I take it?
Are there other alternatives to help me sleep?
3 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

1) It is possible that you may have chronic prostatitis, or a prostatic abscess.  Prostatitis can be difficult to treat.  Make sure that prostatic massage with appropriate culture of the secretions are performed.  A transrectal ultrasound can be considered to look for abscess.

2) As about the prostatis massage and about various imaging tests to visualize any possible abscess.  There are cases of prostatitis where up to 12 weeks of antibiotics are needed.

3) Transurethral microwave thermotherapy can provide relief from prostatitis.  Urodynamic tests can be performed to evaluate for pelvic flood dysfunction - in this case, valium can be suggested as a treatment.

4) Pyridium is typically not used for more than 2 days.  High dose anti-inflammatories can also be considered for symptom relief.

5) The pain control should be optimized.  You may want to try some of the suggestions above in conjunction with your urologist.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Avatar universal
Avatar universal
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.