Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Re: Concerned about taking antibiotics long term for UTI

Posted By Kimberly Boone on April 15, 1999 at 19:12:39
Topic Area: Incontinence
I am a 25 year old woman who has had UTI's for the past 5 years,
always recurring after sexual intercourse.  My infections have
increased in the past 6 months, since I have been having sex with
my current boyfriend.  I have had 4 UTI's, a yeast infection, and
another bacterial infection related to the yeast infection.  I am
very much in love with this man and plan on becoming his wife -
but the thought of having these recurring problems for the rest
of my life is horrible!  
I already do all the recommended methods for avoiding UTI's (drink
lots of water, wipe front to back, pee before and after sex, etc.)
I plan on asking my doctor about medicine that I can take either
on a long-term basis or on a single dose basis after sexual
intercourse.  My concern is, will this adversely affect my body
in any way?  Are there long-term effects to worry about, such as
complications having children?  Please give me as much information
as possible.  I've researched UTI's everywhere on the internet
and I cannot find the answer to this question.  

I am 26 years old, and am in the same predicament!  It's one infection after another.  In fact I am currently taking cipro for a UTI.  The infections seem to keep getting harder to treat each time!  It's so frustrating-  the choice is almost have sex and get an infection or no sex at all.  I also do everything to prevent them but it does no good.  Hopefully someone will have an answer.

3 Responses
Posted By Lisa Ginther on June 03, 1999 at 12:27:22
     I am 29 years old and have been dealing with UTI's  ever since I became sexually active 10 years ago. It seems to be worse with some partners than others for no explainable reason.  Unfortuanately my husband is one of those men.  I get an infection after every encounter of intercourse with him.  I have taken Bactrim and Macrobid long term as prevention.  I am now resistant to both of these and now am taking Cinobac.  
     I am desperate for any new treatments of this problem.  I found an article a few years ago about a vaccine being tested for women with chronic UTI's caused by e-coli.  If there has been any further progress with this study I would love to know.  The research was being done by Solomon Langermann of MedImmune Inc. of Gaithersburg, Md.
     I too am concerned about the long term effects of all of these antibiotics on my body. I have experienced several gastro-intestinal symptoms which I'm sure are a direct result of the medications.  I do know that taking acidophilus suppliments seems to help with the g.i. symptoms somewhat.  In addition, please tell me what concerns I should have once I decide to conceive a child.  I do not want these drugs effecting my baby in the future.  Please help.

Posted By Tony P. on June 17, 1999 at 02:30:20
I am wondering if, instead of trying to use a antibiotics to 'kill' the bacteria, how about finding a drug/supplement that would help build up your body's own natural immune system?
I myself continuing to get UTIs about once a year, albeit I am a male. Symptoms include: green puss coming from penis and burning during ejaculation and urination. It started after once having VD. Ever since then, I continue to get infections once a year. Every urine sample comes up negative. The doctor says it's caused simply by e-coli bateria (no other bateria, VD is found).
This answer is a bit confusing. Why would my body react to something it normally shouldn't? My guess, again, is that my overall body's immune system is weak. Most likely caused by 4 months of antibiotic treatment. (I took two weeks of antibiotic, symptoms cleared up but came back one week later; took two weeks of a differenct antibiotic, symptoms cleared up but came back one week later; etc.) This all took place in Japan.
So, I am currently awaiting my shippment of "immune system" boosting supplements. I am hoping for the best, and I'm also considering using acupuncture to boost my immune system.
As with most in this forum, I am very concerned about the long-term effects of taking antiboitics. It's most likely the cause of my problem (chronic UTI) from a short-term solution (initial antibiotic treatment).
I'll keep you posted.

Posted By Christine  on July 15, 1999 at 18:01:24
I know and understand what everyone is going through with kidney infections. I am a sufferer from chronic kidney infections, and kidney stones for 5 years now. But it doesn't happen after I have sexual intercourse. Instead this problem was caused by a surgery I had to remove endometeroisis. My right ureter was catuerized and they had to re-implant the ureter back into the bladder... Now causing Vesico-ureteral Reflux. (Urine backs up into kidney causing pyelophritis)
I've been on so many kinds of antibotics. And now I am resistant or allergic to them. As I type this right now, I currently have an IV in as I now need to take IV anitobotics just to get rid of the infection. The problem?? This antibotic (Gentamicin) isn't working either. Now what happens??? I have no idea ..
To have a kidney infection is fustrating enough, without the problem of getting the right antibotic to work for you. I took one antibotic (Macrodantin) for 3 years CONTINOUSLY and I *still* got the infections.
The effects of taking antibotics for a long period of time, I feel is damaging to the body. But having the infection is also damaging. After a period of time, the function of our kidneys will deteriorate, as mine already has.

Follow Ups:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.