Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Re: Medullary Sponge Kidney

Posted By Sara on May 19, 1999 at 12:18:57
I have just recently been diagnosed with Medullary Sponge Kidney and was wondering if you could explain this condition to me in terms that I can understand. Although my doctor was thorough in his explanations, I still went home uncertain of some of the medical terms he used, and finding it hard to explain my condition to others concerned in my family.  Thanks for you help.

1 Responses
Posted By HFHS M.D.-BE on May 24, 1999 at 12:49:29

=

Dear Sara,
Medullary Sponge Kidney(MSK)is an adult disease, which is characterized by dilation(swelling)of collecting ducts in the kidneys.  The collecting ducts are the part of the kidney, where the filtered urine will eventually pass through before being excreted into the pelvis of the kidney and out to the bladder.  There could be numerous cysts(contained pouch of fluid)associated with these ducts.  A significant number of the patients with MSK are asymptomatic, and their condition is never diagnosed.  The most common symptom associated with MSK is renal (kidney) colic(50 to 60 %)followed by urinary tract infection(20 to 33 %)and bloody urine(10 to 18 %).  About 1/3 to 1/2 of patients with MSK have high blood calcium.  Less than 10% of asymptomatic patients may have a poor long term outcome due to kidney stones, kidney infections, and kidney failure.  However, with the appropriate treatment for increased calcium and kidney stones, as well as prevention of infections and kidney failure, this number is reduced.  You need to have close follow up with your doctors if you have any of the conditions described.  
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: medullary sponge kidney

Follow Ups:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.