Urology Forum

Re: Medullary Sponge Kidney

Posted By Marcia J. Peterson on June 01, 1999 at 09:55:05
I have been battling kidney stones since 1992 and have had a parathyroid tumor and it was removed and benign in 1995, I was recently seen at the University of Iowa Urology Clinic and diagnosed with MSK. I have done numerous blood studies and 24 hr urine collections and all my test come back within the normal limits.
My question "Is there any cure for this and what is the long term outlook?"
I appreciate any information that you may give me.Thankyou   Marcia J. Peterson

Posted By HFHS M.D.-AK on June 03, 1999 at 15:53:41
Dear Marcia,
Medulary sponge kidney is characterized by dilated collecting tubules in one or more renal papillae.  In the absence of complications, it is asymptomatic and benign condition, but UTIs and nephrolithiasis are more common.  The stone profile among patients with MSK and non-MSK patients are equivalent.  I would drink plenty of fluids and repeat a 24 hrs urine down the road.  There is no cure for this condition but rather a condition that needs to managed.  With the exception of stone formation, your outlook is good.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Medulary sponge kidney

Posted By KWT on June 10, 1999 at 11:33:35

I have been diagnosed with Medullary Sponge Kidneys, and have never noticed a stone pass, however every 6 months I have a 2-3 month period of pain that starts in the back and moves to the groin.  My doctor told me to take in lots of water, cut back on cokes and chocolate, and to take in a lot of calcium.  I thought that I should lower the calcium intake.  I this right?  I also had an Ostioid Osteoma, or bone island in my hip area.  Is this due to the same problem?

Follow Ups:

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.