Re: Peyronie's Disease

Posted By HFHS M.D. -MS on January 13, 1998 at 10:02:37:

In Reply to: Peyronie's Disease posted by Bill on January 12, 1998 at 20:07:45:

: Dear Doctors:
First, I want to thank you SO much for this forum!  
In 1983, I was diagnosed with Peyronie's Disease.  At that time, my symptoms were extreme curvature of the penis, which caused severe pain during an erection.  
Since that time, the curvature has diminished some, as has the severity of the pain durin erections.  Unforutnately, I continue to have a slight upward curvature with moderate pain during erection.  Also, the circumference and length of my penis has diminished markedly since the onset of Peyronie's and has never returned to "normal".
My questions are:
1) What (if any) are the current treatment options for Peyronie's Disease?
2) After 15 years, can I ever expect to return to normal?
3) Are there any other health disorders associated with Peyronie's Disease?
Thank you so much for your time and help!
Bill

=

Dear  Bill
Thank you for your questions.
Question 1  
Treatment options for Peyronies disease runs the spectrum.
If there is minimal curvature and minimal pain ( for the patient and sex partner), observation  is usually pursued because  early spontaneous resolution is possible.
If treatment is indicated,  injection therapy of various drugs have been tried to soften the underling scar tissue which caused the curvature in the beginning.  These treatments have been met with limited success but might be worth a  try if you think surgery might not be for you.  Surgery is usually for  the more severe curvature and carries a slight risk of impotence but has the most successful chance for long-term cure.
Depending on how large the scar tissue is and if good erectile function is present or not usually dictates the surgical technique.  An inflatable  penile prosthesis with incision of the scar usually has good cosmetic results for patients with previously poor erections.  If spontaneous erection are good and the scar tissue  is small, it can usually  removed completely and repaired with surrounding tissue.  Then again, if the scar tissue is large, the scar can usually be removed but the area needs to be reinforced with a patch of skin or prothestic material.  With the latter two techniques of scar removal the penis may  be shortened slightly but the cosmetic results should be good.    
Question # 2
Peyronies disease is usually chronic although it may reach a stable state it almost never returns to the it natural state.  
Question # 3
Scar tissue formation in the palms in 25% (called Dupuytrens contracture) , the soles and the eardrum has been described as having an association with  Peyronies.

This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
HFHS M.D.-MS
*KEYWORD: Peyronies disease

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.