Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Re: To take Fruits is bad for Medullary Sponge Kidney... Is it true ??

Posted By Hajime Takeuchi on March 12, 1999 at 17:38:22:

In Reply to: Re: To take Fruits is bad for Medullary Sponge Kidney... Is it true ?? posted by HFHS M.D.-AK on March 10, 1999 at 16:29:14:

Please teach me "Diet of Medullary Sponge Kidney" !!
I would like to ask a question about the citric fruits
under the condition of medullary sponge kidney .  
Are Citrus fruits listed as high oxalate foods ?  
I received the information ( It is not good to take citrus fruits ) from US friends .  
Fruits content oxalate ?
The diet about this condition ( = medullary sponge kidney ) is changing in US ?
Please teach me the diet !!

Dear Hajime,
One third to one half of patients with medullary sponge kidney have hypercalcemia secondary to a multitude of reasons however, renal leak is most common.  The stones that these patients develop are calcium oxalate type stones.  Thiazide diuretics are the main type of treatment in the USA, however dietary modification may help as well.  If this doesnt work, inorganic phosphates may be tried.
To answer your question, the fruits that are high in oxalate include: berries, all currants, concord grapes, figs, fruit cocktail, lemon peel, oranges, plums, rhubarb, and tangerines.  Vegetables high in oxalate include: asparagus, beans, beets, celery, chard, collards, eggplant, endive, green pepper, kale, leeks, okra, rutabagas, spinach, sweet potato, summer squash, and tomatoes.  Remember this doesnt mean that these foods need to be eliminated from your diet, they should be consumed in moderation.
Good Luck with your new diet!
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Stones, medullary sponge kidneys

Dear HFHS M.D. A.K. !
Thank you for your useful information about the diet list .
I am going to introduce the information to my friend .
It gives concrete examples .  
In Japan , Spring is coming .
You can hear the songs of Japanese Nightingales in my hometown .
Sincerely
Hajime Takeuchi

0 Responses
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.