Urology Forum

Re: kidney stone pain location

Posted By lin on January 25, 1999 at 13:48:15:

In Reply to: Re: kidney stone pain location posted by HFHS M.D.-AK on January 07, 1999 at 16:45:28:

On Christmas Day of this year I experienced severe pain in my
lower abdomen.  A urine test showed no blood.  The pain subsided
a day later.  Today, I once again suffered severe pain, only
this time under my right rib cage in the front of my stomach.  
(Not in my back as is the common symptom.)  My question is, could
these pains be coming from a kidney stone.  If so, what should
I do?  Thank you...Mike

_______
Dear Mike,
I would see your primary care physician to determine if he or she thinks these pains are concerning and need to be worked-up.  Your symptoms are certainly not classic for stone pain and about 75% of people with stones have hematuria to some degree, but it is impossible to make a statement that you dont have stones without the appropriate test.  On the otherhand, if your primary care doctor does not feel that you need these tests and your pain has subsided then I would hate to subject to to invasive tests with little chance of being useful.
Kidney stones are usually extremely painful, patients are very sick.  The pain is in the flank, back or irritative in the bladder, but generalized abdominal pain can occur.  Patients often are nauseated, vomit, and do not want to eat.  These are some of the usual symptoms of stones in the urinary tract.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-AK
*keyword:Kidney Stone

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.