Urology Forum

Re: kidney surgery

Posted By HFHS M.D.-BE on April 14, 1999 at 10:32:27

Topic Area: Kidney/Urinary Stones
I've had lithotripsy twice for kidney stones,90 and 98. Now I have them again and after going through a number of tests lithotripsy is not an option because I have a diverticulum (pouch) in the kidney and the stones are in it.Because of the location PNL is not an option.Only open kidney surgery to remove that part of the kidney.My whole life I've had repeated infections.I'm scared to death of this surgery.Nothing is blocked and I'm not having any pain right now. Has anyone else had this? Please Help!!

=

Dear Peggy,
It is a relief that you are not suffering from a lot of pain and other symptoms presently, because you know how uncomfortable that can be.  However, there is good medical reasoning to remove the stones and obliterating the diverticulum now, because the potential for infection exists ( as you well know) , which could trigger a host of other worse problems. The best overall treatment approach for diverticula with stones is the percutaneous approach (PNL) with very good results and lower  morbidity. Other minimally invasive approaches are  also utilized, such as laparoscopy or ureteroscopy.  Ureteroscopy is the use of an illuminated scope which enters the body through the urethra, goes into the bladder, up into the ureter and the kidney.  Laparoscopy  is also used, however, less frequently. Open surgery is one option, as you mentioned, but has the disadvantage of a bigger and more painful incision and a longer recovery period, yet in some circumstances the only option. All these procedures have certain risks and benefits inherent to them. You should discuss all these with your urologist, and may want to seek a second opinion to finalize your decision.
This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.  More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653-6568).
Sincerely,
HFHS M.D.-BE
*keyword: calyceal diverticula

Follow Ups:

kidney surgery Peggy 4/15/1999
(1)

Re: kidney surgery HFHS M.D.-AK 4/17/1999
(0)

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.