Urology Forum

Re: prostate problems

Posted By HFHS M.D.-MS on February 04, 1999 at 15:52:00:

In Reply to: prostate problems posted by Doug on February 03, 1999 at 14:07:33:

i have been getting over a prostate problem. the symptoms have mostly subsided but i am still having one big problem. My ejaculations do not feel as good as they should. Sometimes they don't even feel good at all. My penis is more sensitive than it has ever been and it feels great to masturbate. It just doesn't feel good when i ejaculate. I am taking the herb saw palmetto and it has helped my prostate greatly. if you or anybody else has any suggestions could you please respond or e mail me? Thank you very much. Doug
       =

Dear Doug
I am not sure what type of prostate problem you have been experiencing, cancer, benign prostatic enlargement, prostatitis, prostadynia.  
FDA approved medications for the treatment of BPH( benign prostatic hypertrophy ) , i.e. Cardura, Hytrin, Flomax , are believed to  relax smooth muscles in the prostate and theatrically could allow  for retrograde ejaculation. Retrograde ejaculation is when  the ejaculate goes into the bladder instead of coming out the tip of the penis.  The mechanism of action of Saw Palmetto SP is unknown, so I am not in a position to comment if retrograde ejaculation is a possible cause of your symptoms or not.   The literature does state that SP appears to be well tolerated with little or no side effects.  There are multiple brands of saw palmetto   with different concentrations.  In the literature,   SP is less effective than the other meds mentioned above.   As you know, SP is not regulated by the FDA, so they have not had stringent testing  and also are  not covered by  insurance companies.  In any event , SP should not take the place of yearly prostate cancer screening ( digital rectal exam and prostate specific antigen blood test PSA)   for all men 50 to 75.  Men at a higher risk, family history or African American, should start prostate screening at age forty.  
More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any physicians notes and lab test results that you  may be able to obtain. These will help us greatly.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition.
Sincerely;
HFHS-M.D. MS
* Keyword: saw palmetto, benign prostatic hypertrophy, prostate screening

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.