Urology Community

Recurrent UTI

I have a recurrent UTI since almost 8 months, which sometimes gets better but never completely goes away, and then relapses. I have been drinking pleny of water which once again, helps but doesn't eliminate the problem completely. Being on endless courses anti biotics did no good to my condition either. In fact, they weakened my immune system and caused me to get a high fever for around 2 weeks because of which I had to quit taking them as a whole.
I have tested negative for diabetes and my ultrasound KB showed no signs of stones either. I got a Culture and Urine DR done a couple of months back- The Urine DR showed a slight infection but the Urine cullture resulted in no growth of bacteria. I am a 19 year old Unversity student and feel that this irritating infection will never go away. Is there anything I can do?
Recurrent urine infections could be due to various reasons. Most common cause is stones in kidney which is blocking urine pathway and it has been ruled out in your case. Other causes are changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and of course childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due t obstruction. The obstruction can be due to abnormality of structures since birth, stones or diseases like tumors. Females are more prone to urine infections. In females, short urethra may also cause UTI.

The other cause can be urethral syndrome. It is a primarily female syndrome in which women suffer from irritative bladder symptoms (urinary frequency, urgency, burning , and a hesitant or slowed urinary stream) in the absence of any objective urologic findings.In this the diagnosis can be made only by the proper collections of urine specimens from both the urethra and the bladder. These specimens will reveal the presence of white blood cells in the urethral washings, while the midstream (bladder) specimen will be free of cells.

Please get evaluated for this possibility also.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you, your knowledge was of great help.
I have one more question though-- What should be the treatment for a UTI that has become resistant to antiobiotics from all 3 generations?
To avoid recurrent urinary tract infections, take plenty of fluids, avoid holding urine, keep the genital area very clean, wear cotton undergarments and loose clothing and urinate before and after intercourse. Also for multidrug resistant UTI, we can try fluoroquinolones because to it, most strains are not resistant, making it a good choice for persistent infection.

I hope it helps. Take care.

Thank you so much! I have some hope now!
My infection has become resistant to Ciprofloxacin (Cipro), would you recommend me to try some other drug containing fluoroquinolone?
Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions, I'm just very confused.
Thank you.