Urology Forum

Reflux?

Hi, I posted on the Gastroenterology board regarding RLQ pain.  I was wondering if I could possibly have ureteral reflux.  I have a history of kidney stones, but I don't have any stones now.  I have pain that is in the RLQ and sometimes sharp pain on the right side of my bladder.  I know it's usually diagnosed in childhood, but can an adult develop it? Thanks.
Yes, it is possible for adults to develop reflux - although it is less often than in children.  If this is a concern, an intravenous pyelogram can be considered to evaluate for renal scars.  An ultrasound can also be considered to look for anatomical abnormalities.  

If there is concern about kidney stones, the most sensitive test would be a non-contrast spiral CT scan.

These options can be discussed with a urology consult.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, Absent distal right ureter on IVP was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.