Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Renal Colic

I am a 35 yr old female who has had several stones in the past year.  It began in April of last yr. the first stone.  I did not pass it on my own so my Uro. manupliated it. I had two more shortly after that and I passed them on my own.  My pain continued so my uro. ordered a IVP, no stones were found, only delayed clearance on the right kidney.  He ordered a hecial scan, again no stones but he did state their was severe scarring in the right kidney pelvis.  He ordered a diuretic renogram, that showed no obstruction but reduced function in the right kidney (25R-75L). My pain continued, espically after drinking fluids. I had gallbladder test and liver test, those were ruled out. I Dec. I had a stent placed in my right kidney. The pain was gone.  The stent was removed after 4 weeks due to irriation. The pain came back.  In March my Uro. decided to do a pyeloplasty. The pain I was feeling before was once again gone.  Then in the end of June on the 27th I passed another stone and the pain was once again back.  I also passed another stone in mid July.  I went back to my Uro. feeling like I still had another stone stuck down in the ureter by my bladder. Alot of stabbing and cramping pain their along with kidney pressure that seems to build up and release and general stabbing pains all down my right flank. I had another IVP done, but no stones were found only delayed clearance on the right. Could this delayed clearance because of my impaired right kidney function be causing this pain?  I have also had numerous kidney infections over the past year. I am beginning to get pain now in my left kidney also, however that clears up after a couple days of antibotics.  the pain in the right kidney doesn't clear up from antibotic use.  My Uro. said that the right kidney was in very bad shape from chronic kidney infections, when he did the pyeloplasty, and we would have to waite and see what happ
2 Responses
======================================================================

Dear Debbie,
I am not sure what your question is from reading the above .  But what you have described is not an unusual presentation with a condition referred to as ureteropelvic junction ( UPJ)obstruction, which I presume you have had, given that you needed pyeloplasty on the right side.  Stone formation is also not uncommon with UPJ obstruction.   One or both of these could lead to kidney infections and loss of kidney function due to scarring injury to the kidney.  The fact that your kidney function is only 25% on the right side is suggestive of reduced function.from a chronic problem.  In this situation the pyeloplasty could help improve the function on the right side, or at least prevent further deterioration , and decrease the chances of infection and stone formation.  
It is important for you to be monitored closely to assure that your left kidney does not deteriorate, nor that your right side becomes worse.  
You need to be proactive and get in touch with your urologist if you develop symptoms of renal colic( side and flank pain), or if you have any signs of infection such as fevers/ chills and burning with urination, malodourous urine, etc.

This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its urban campuses by calling  (1 800 653 6568).

Sincerely;
HFHS M.D.- BE
* Keyword:UPJ obstruction
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.