Urology Community

Reoccuring UTI's

Well, i'm 16 and sexually active (but only for a few weeks). I've been with my partner for almost 2 years. Since early last year, i've been suffering from very painful UTI's and i keep getting them. Normally i get prescribed a 5 day course of trimithroperin and i'm fine. But i've had a UTI now for 3 weeks, and i've tried a 5 and 7 day course of trimithroperin and i still have my infection. I'm almost done my 5 day course of ciproflaxin,i'm drinking plenty of water and cranberry juice and peeing reguarly but nothing has changed. I'm worried that i'm immune to the antibiotics or that i have something worse than a UTI, but everytime i go to the doctors they just take a sample, and give me a longer course of antibiotics. (Oh btw, they tested me for STD's to rule out them being the cause - my results were fine) I just want to start feeling better, is there anyway i can at least reduce the pain and constant urge to pee?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Your symptoms could be due to UTI, or urinary tract infection. The infection could be at any level from bladder to ureter to kidney. It could also be due to a stone in the urinary tract. What you need is a urine culture and sensitivity test done. Next time you have this problem, please go to a lab and give it for culture and sensitivity in a sterile bottle. This will tell you what organism is causing the infection and what antibiotic will kill it permanently. Please do not take any antibiotic without this test because if the organism is not sensitive to it, then it will become only temporarily dormant.
Get an ultrasound or CT scan to look for stones. I see that STD panel is negative in your case, for this can be another reason for recurrent UTIs.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please discuss this with your doctor and get yourself investigated accordingly. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!