Urology Community

Reverse Retrograde Ejaculation?

My prostate was "re-sectioned" and following that procedure, I now have retrograde ejaculations.  I don't like them and any orgasm I have now is different and not as profound as those when I ejaculated externally.  As a matter of fact, retrograde ejaculations keep me from having any sexual relation with anyone and keeps me from masturbating, as well, since there is an unpleasant feeling in my penis following a retrograde ejaculation.  

Is there anything to be done to reverse retrograde ejaculations, so that my ejaculations would be external?
Russ
Retrograde ejaculation occurs when semen, which would normally be ejaculated via the urethra, is redirected to the urinary bladder.It is very common after operation of the prostate. The condition is not harmful, but it often results in infertility. Retrograde ejaculation caused by prostate surgery is untreatable.Many people benefit from improve after treatment with drugs that close the bladder neck (such as pseudoephedrine). However, most of these drugs can increase heart rate and blood pressure, which can be dangerous in men with high blood pressure or heart disease.

I would suggest you to discuss this with your urologist.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing.Kind regards.

Don't get laser prostate surgery no matter what.  You will never ejaculate normally again.  I hate it and would rather get up 50 times a night than have this.  It's not worth it.
Do not get prostate surgery.  You will never ever be able to ejaculate normally again.  Its pretty screwed up.  Your doctor may mention it, but will not have a discussion regarding the implications.  I hate my dr - I wish that I could do it to him.
I just saw your posting, and am wondering if you have had the procedure yet, to keep from having to pee a few times per night.  I was getting up to pee at least 5 or 6 times per night and my urologist suggested the procedure, and said that reverse ejaculation only occurs in a small number of men, and that I shouldn't let that keep me from having the procedure done.  So, I had it done, and now I wish I hadn't.  It was about two years ago and I have been angry at my doctor for not telling me more about the consequences.  At a followup appointment I told him that it had happened to me, and he just kind of chuckled and said "yeah, that happens once in a while...."  I wanted to punch him in the nose, and tie him down and do the procedure on him so he would see what it is like.  Orgasms aren't nearly as satisfying, and it's just embarrassing to not have any semen come out.  I would rather get up 10  times per night than to suffer this loss of my manly performance.  No, I don't depend on that for my feeling of self worth and manliness, but it hurts to know that I'll probably never have a satisfying orgasm again.  It just leaves you wanting more.  The feeling of the sperm shooting out is a lot more satisfying than just the pumping sensation inside without the ejaculate.  Don't do it if you haven't already done it!
i have had this procedure done also 2 years ago and i have same symptoms my doctor told me that i would have less semen but didnt tell me i would have NO semen , on my last visit i told him this and he just told me a story about a colleuge that was sued for not telling all information  do you think i should sue or try to have reversed surgery , i dont know if it is possable but willing to try as sex is terrible with out ejaculation , my wife and i used to have regular sex but now lucky to have once a month , but i seem to masturbate more often hoping it will help as i need to get the feeling at the end of my penis more to stop thinking about sex . hoping and wishing
You obviously have not had this TURP procedure. Any PC physician will tell the patient the closest thing to the truth; Retrograde Ejaculation is an almost certainty and it is sexually life-changing, miserable, debilitating, ultra-depressing and "not worth it" doesn't begin to cover the warnings that SHOULD be tattooed on the forehead of any erstwhile urologist that recommends TURP. I hate the ******* son-of-a-***** and so does my lady. He got his tens-of-thousands-of dollars (also sending a collection agency after us for the few hundred left over) and no longer gave a damn about me, the patient. "Do no harm" is in Hippocrates teachings, but "I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug" is actually a part of the oath traditionally taken by both healers and hacks alike. Medicine has become little more than a career for the entitled and those guilty of butchery for insurance money should fall with the bankers. I am presently on far more drugs than may have been needed without this damnedable operation for depression, hormone replacement (another thing they do not mention) ED (again, same), and therapy to keep from blowing my brains out. My advice to all that some urologist has recommended TURP; DON'T!!! They do not care about you, only the money that insurance will pay them. You WILL have retrograde ejack, you WILL end your sex life and endure the consequences of testosterone deprivation which are quite deadly and include; further depression, massive cholesterol increases, obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Dr. Singh, stick to medicine that you know something about, or be prepared to tell the whole truth. Lastly, all patients should know that there is no cure for retrograde ejack; the decongestants and all of that is pure falderal. There are rumors that the hospital in Trinidad, CO is experimenting with the bladder sphincter valve, but it is just a rumor. They disregard "old men" as having already lived their lives and are no longer in need of a sex life, a driving force in keeping a man vital. Now, I fully expect the manufacture of the TURP laser to hack this site and remove my posting, too much cash cow to loose. Bastards.

Don't blame you for being pissed off at your urologist.  Same thing happened to me.  He just briefly said that only about a third of men
get this (retrograde ejaculation) and nothing more. It should  have
been a major part of our discussion.  Would like to take his weiner and do it to him and see how he likes it!   "Orgasm happens in the brain anyway" he told me on my followup visit. What a crock of ****!  He vaulted over the feeling of having the cream come out.  @#$%!!!  May all urologists be castrated in hell!

It seems that more of this is made out to be when in actuality urinary function is more important than retrograde ejeculation.

I had the TURP and resection of the bladderneck done in 1995 at the age of 30. Prior to the surgery the urologist explained all the side effects including retrograde ejeculation.
I had problems not being able to urinate and it was found to be some obstruction at the bladderneck. The procedure went OK and after 8 weeks or so I returned to work as a heavy duty mechanic shop foreman.

The procedure only did well for about 6 months when I ended up with the same problems. I was booked for a urodynamics test and it was found that I had a neurogenic bladder. This meant that I have to self cath several times a day.

Even though I had no semen discharged during climax and the sensation was severely deminished, my wife was surprised to find herself pregnant with our youngest daughter. No my wife did not have an extra relationship as our youngest daughter looks very simmilar to my mother at that age.

Now several years later, I still mostly have dry orgasms but at times some semen is discharged. Most of it comes out during urination. For me the sensation feels OK again, but not the same.

The biggest complaint that I have now, is the fact that I most likely will live the rest of my life with a suprapubic catheter due to complications from a neurogenic bladder and self catheterization.. At times I have to use condom catheters for intermittant incontenence.

To Marine. You should read things carefully before you write your message.
Had you read things closely, you might have realized that Dr. J, Singh, is a doctor and most likely has not had the procedure. However in his pratice, he has had several patients who have had the procedure.
He just provided a medical opinion. In no means can his response be viewed as ungrounded, and I feel that you owe this doctor an apology.
You might have gone through the procedure but seem to have no medical knowledge about it.

For me the retrograde ejectulation would be far more desired over the curent problem of a neurogenic bladder.

In the US and Canada a lot of males get circumcised at birth withou their approval. Should they be pissed off with their parents and doctor who did the butchering. Males without a foreskin don't seem to complain about the situation as they have no idea as to what it is like to be circumcised.

For myself some of the sensation has returned but I cannot garentee that others will experience near mormal sensations again. Retrograde ejeculation is a minor problem from this surgery. I ended up with a fistula between the urethra du to long term self catheterization.
For those who complain about retrograde ejeculation, I can see why it is seen as a bad side effect, however from what can go wrong it is very minor. For those who blame their urologists, doctors, "get a life".

Ron