Urology Community

Slow and weak erection

I am 39 and for the past 2 weeks have had a disturbing issue.  I still strongly feel the urge for sex and am still very interested in my wife, but it suddenly is taking quite some time to get an erection.  When it finally happens it is a somewhat weak one and i have to rush for fear of it going away even though everything still feels great.  I do not smoke-I quit 3 years ago- I don't use drugs and drink light to moderately.  I take propecia and straterra and have for years.  
Hi there!

Erectile dysfunction can develop in young adults due to a variety of causes. Psychological stress, performance anxiety, depression, neurogenic disorders peyronie's disease, body image issues, medications, alcohol, smoking, drugs/medications, hormonal imbalance, radiation therapy, kidney failure, metabolic disorders, multiple sclerosis, hypertension, diabetes, prostatitis, urethritis etc. just to name a few. Anxiety and stress play an important role in the development of erectile dysfunction; and is the most common possible cause. At a primary level, I would suggest being a bit relaxed and working on the psychological factors with your partner. You could also see a psychotherapist/ behavioral therapist for the same. It might also be beneficial to get rid of factors like smoking/ alcohol/ drugs, if involved. In case this doesn’t work, I would suggest seeing your primary care physician for an evaluation of the above mentioned causes and appropriate specific treatment.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Research the side effects of propecia. They include erectile dysfunction. And in some men, the side effects continue even after you've stopped taking it.